How alert users of failed tests when running Jenkins locally?

Anna Freiholtz

Oct 5, 2017, 10:32:22 AM10/5/17
to Jenkins Users
If you setup Jenkins on local machines running tests on commits in the local repository, how do you alert the users of failed tests?

I don't want them to have to check Jenkins for themselves. I know when I am working I can get so into it I probably won't remember to check if my commit failed tests in Jenkins..

/Anna

Mark Waite

Oct 5, 2017, 11:09:51 AM10/5/17
to Jenkins Users
I think you should choose a communication system that users already use, and publish results to that communication system.  If those who need to be notified are regular users of Slack (or HipChat or ...), connect those Jenkins instances to the messaging app and send messages to the committer.  If they regularly read e-mail, send them an e-mail.  If they regularly read text messages, send them a text.

If you're feeling really novel, you could buy each person a "blink" device to plug into a USB port, then notify by changing the color or pattern of the blink device.

Mark Waite

Anna Freiholtz

Oct 6, 2017, 3:34:27 AM10/6/17
to Jenkins Users
Yes you right. We use Skype for Business and maybe I can get Jenkins to send a message.

E-mail could work, but many of us choose not read our e-mail too often. Too much incoming...

But a blink device would be so much more fun to implement! :-)

Anna