"Jenkins is going to shut down" ad infinitum

Steve K

Nov 22, 2017, 11:55:33 AM11/22/17
to Jenkins Users
Hello,

We do have the ThinBackup and PeriodicBackup plugins in use, but there is nothing odd about either of their configurations.
Moreover, the settings for ThinBackup and PeriodicBackup have not changed in several months.
The "Jenkins is going to shut down. No further builds will be performed." message (and associated blockage of any new jobs starting) just began happening yesterday.

So, either I'm overlooking something with the backup plugins (they are suspect since ThinBackup settings have been sited as a problem by others) or I need to look somewhere else for the culprit.
BTW. Jenkins server version is
Do you have a suggestion?
I'm growing tired of clicking "(cancel)" every few seconds.

Thanks in advance for any help, advisement, or words of encouragement that you would like to share.

Matthew...@diamond.ac.uk

Nov 22, 2017, 5:38:17 PM11/22/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Anything in the logs?
Did anyone install https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Post-initialization+script?
Matthew

Victor Martinez

Nov 22, 2017, 5:44:07 PM11/22/17
to Jenkins Users
 If anyone can run any system groovy script then they might easily run the 'safe-restart'. can you confirm whether the script security is enabled? https://jenkins.io/doc/book/managing/script-approval/

Steve K

Nov 27, 2017, 12:22:37 PM11/27/17
to Jenkins Users

Thank you Victor Martinez and Matthew...@diamond.ac.uk for your great ideas.  I apologize for my late response.  We were on a Thanksgiving holiday.

We managed to work past the problem. No Groovy scripts were to blame.
As a guess, we de-selected "Wait until Jenkins/Hudson is idle to perform a backup" in our thinBackup settings.
That fixed the problem.
As I originally noted, however, it is very odd that we just experienced this issue.  The configuration for thinBackup had not been changed in several months.

Brian Ray

Dec 6, 2017, 5:43:39 PM12/6/17
to Jenkins Users
We ran into the same problem under what sounds like the same circumstances a few years back. We initially configured thinBackup with the Wait until... switch turned on and had no issues for a very long time.

And then we wound up in the trap you describe. I dug around and realized certain of our long-running nightly jobs were running longer and longer, and more job were introduced, delaying thinBackup's opportunity to seize a quiet period. By the time late morning rolled around it was in the shutdown preparation mode, so I'd manually clear it, and then a delayed build would fire, and then back to shutdown prep mode, etc.

So while it's possible for the thinBackup config to remain the same but build mix + timing to cause this problem.