jenkins docker images

Jens Löök

Apr 13, 2018, 8:33:44 AM4/13/18
to Jenkins Users
I'm looking at setting up Jenkins running in a docker container, I know that there are tons of information just a google search away but there is one thing I have not been able to figure out.
As far as I can tell the official docker images can be found at https://hub.docker.com/r/jenkins/jenkins/ and there is a reference to https://github.com/jenkinsci/docker/blob/master/README.md for documentation.

Right now if I run the jenkins/jenkins:lts container I get the latest LTS version of Jenkins which is 2.107.2 at the moment, but if I clone the repo from GitHub git(@)github.com:jenkinsci/docker.git and build a container my self i get an old version, 2.60.3. Why is it like that ?

It is possible to specify the JENKINS_VERSION as an argument to docker build but then there is verification step with a SHA for the jenkins.war file and the SHA is hard coded in the Dockerfile so it isn't really possible to change the Jenkins version by just specifying another version from the command line.

Seems to me that there should be a repo that contains the latest Dockerfile for the current Jenkins version or is that managed in some other way ?

Mark Waite

Apr 13, 2018, 8:46:53 AM4/13/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I believe the process which generates the Jenkins docker images is automated.  That automation does not require updating the JENKINS_VERSION default value in the Dockerfile.  By avoiding updates of the JENKINS_VERSION in the Dockerfile of the repository, the project does not waste commits on changes to default values.

The intent is that your Dockerfile starts with 'FROM jenkins/jenkins:2.107.2-slim' or with 'FROM jenkins/jenkins:2.107.2-alpine' and then adds the specific items which it needs.

It is not the intent that your Dockerfile starts with 'FROM openjdk:8-jdk'.

I believe the concept is that your Dockerfile does not see "inside" the Dockerfile which is used by the Jenkins image creation.

For an example, refer to https://github.com/MarkEWaite/docker-lfs/blob/lts-slim-with-plugins/Dockerfile-slim .  That branch includes the plugins I use, several job definitions, and a few scripts that help me test the Jenkins git plugin.

Mark Waite