Jenkins not polling

Hemanth Shekar

May 31, 2017, 5:01:01 PM5/31/17
to Jenkins Users
I am using Jenkins to poll for a file in a unix directory ( Shell )
If the file is present running some commands as the build steps .

A manual build works but polling is not happening .
i have polling by minute .

The script trigger log tells

[ScriptTrigger] - Poll with a shell or batch script

Polling has not run yet.

I need it to poll every minute
what am i doing wrong

Terry Lacy

Jun 1, 2017, 1:21:58 PM6/1/17
to Jenkins Users
I assume you have "Build periodically" checked under the job's Build Triggers section.

What do you have in the "Schedule" field?

Terry

Hemanth Shekar

Jun 1, 2017, 7:23:38 PM6/1/17
to Jenkins Users
I have [ScriptTrigger] - Poll with a shell or batch script checked.
The script value is

#!/bin/ksh
exit 9

Exit Code parameter is set to 9

Jenkins1.png

Terry Lacy

Jun 2, 2017, 10:45:32 AM6/2/17
to Jenkins Users
Okay that must be from a plugin? I don't have that in my install. Is that really the syntax for the Schedule setting?

I located the ScriptTrigger plugin (https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/ScriptTrigger+Plugin). It's not really clear from their documentation what the syntax for the Schedule field is, either. Their example in their documentation image might be bogus.

I'm just guessing the syntax is probably similar to the one for the "Build periodically" Schedule. In other words, cron syntax.(minute hour DOM (day of month) month DOW (day of week)

See the examples for the "Build periodically" schedule field by clicking on the "?" next to that field.

Hemanth Shekar

Jun 2, 2017, 1:47:38 PM6/2/17
to Jenkins Users
My requirement is that  i need to check for a condition to happen in a remote Linux server and then schedule a build .
The condition is  i need to check some files for some patterns  in a particular folder .
periodic build is not the right fit for my requirement :(

Gardell, Steven

Jun 2, 2017, 2:35:23 PM6/2/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Why push all of this outside of Jenkins and request the build using the REST API?

Hemanth Shekar

Jun 2, 2017, 2:46:46 PM6/2/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Please elaborate

Gardell, Steven

Jun 2, 2017, 3:00:52 PM6/2/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

It seems roughly analogous to triggering a build externally from an SCM. This is one of the options when configuring builds.

See “Build Triggers” and then “Trigger Builds Remotely (e.g. From Scripts).

What we do is have SCM (in our case Perforce) triggers that kick off builds. But I don’t see any reason that needs to be an “SCM” event; it could be a cron (or some other daemon) job that is watching for some event and then kicking off the build.