Docker plugin problems

Gunther Laure

Oct 12, 2017, 2:53:40 AM10/12/17
to Jenkins Users

Hello!

Posting this here, because I am not able create an account to create a Jira issue.

Yesterday our jenkins  installation (2.73.1) proposed to update the Docker plugin to 0.18.

Reading the plugins notes I reconfigured our cloud settings.

A number of issues occurred.

The plugin no longer assumes 4243 as default port. But that’s ok and can be configured.

The plugin now always try to check a docker registry to start a docker container. If no registry is configures a fallback registry is used.

In our situation: We have no registry. Our docker hosts have a fixed set of custom images that are used. No registry involved.

The effect is, that many temporary slaves are shown on as executors, but none is really started on the hosts.

Docker log on the hosts shows failed pull attempts.

Docker ps shows no containers

Playing with the configuration, sometimes a docker container could be started (No idea how that worked, with the issue mentioned above).

Docker ps showed the started containers, but immediately terminated them.

Somehow ssh always got connection refused. (We are using a user/pw stored in the images).

I see those messages in the log of the spawned slave nodes.

Reverting the plugin to version 16.2 resolved all those issues.

If information, like our current docker configuration is needed, I am happy to provide it.

Thank you in advance,

Gunther

jessi lopes

Oct 17, 2017, 9:22:48 AM10/17/17
to Jenkins Users
This is pretty much our use case also...

we spawn a container then ssh into it with "name" "password"
we did try downgrade to 0.16.2 but no change..

we had upgraded from 0.15 to 0.18... thats when the problem started.
we are now unable to ssh into the containers...

errors like "
ERROR: Server rejected the 1 private key(s) for root (credentialId:InstanceIdentity/method:publickey)"
even though we aren't using keys.
Its also trying to do this as root.?

this error will then be followed with a"

Connection refused (Connection refused)
SSH Connection failed with IOException: "Connection refused (Connection refused)".

we have tried "Non verifying Verification Strategy"
as suggested by others online to no avail..

essentially plugin does not work for us anymore.

nicolas de loof

Oct 18, 2017, 2:08:55 AM10/18/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Docker-plugin 1.0.1 introduce a new option to disable SSH key injection in container.
Main idea for this feature is to avoid SSH private key in docker image, which is a terrible security issue. But for backward compatibility it might be needed.

> The plugin no longer assumes 4243 as default port. But that’s ok and can be configured.

I'm not sure where this assumption was made, I have no idea what 4243 port is supposed to be. default ports for SSH is 22 and docker API is 2375/2376.

The plugin now always try to check a docker registry to start a docker container.

which pull strategy do you have configured on your agent template ? Should be set to "Never Pull" for your use-case