Windows Desktop OS or Server OS is good for Jenkins master

LnT

Apr 16, 2018, 4:47:19 AM4/16/18
to Jenkins Users
Hi -

could someone please advice ,
Is Windows Desktop OS VM good or Server OS VM is good for Jenkins installation ?
If it is Server OS then are there any advantages ?

Regards ,
LnT

Dirk Heinrichs

Apr 16, 2018, 4:55:17 AM4/16/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

> Is Windows Desktop OS VM good or Server OS VM is good for Jenkins installation ?

No, none of them. Despite the "Server" part in the name even Windows Server isn't a (good) server OS (file locks, desktop popups, slow filesystem, etc). We've just migrated away from a Windows based Jenkins master to a Linux based one a few months ago and all those problems are gone now. Do yourself a favour and avoid Windows if you can...

Just my 2 cents.

Bye...

                Dirk

LnT

Apr 16, 2018, 6:03:38 AM4/16/18
to Jenkins Users

Thanks Dirk.
Actually we will be providing Windows VMs. Not Linux.
Hence looking for a piece of advice.  - Desktop OS or ServerOS ?

John.P...@nikon.com

Apr 16, 2018, 7:04:24 AM4/16/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

We use ServerOS.  We have four running systems worldwide so far.  Server 2012 and 2016 with no server related issues on any.  I don’t know any reason that Server would be required however for any of the below…

All are now running Windows Server as VM’s on ESXi 6.5 Hosts.

ESXi 6.5 Host

                Windows Server 2012/16

                                vCenter (if ESXi fails to start you can bypass vCenter anyway, so it being hosted on the machine it admins is not an issue)

                                Jenkins

                Windows Server 2012/16

                                Visual SVN

                Windows Server 2012/16

                                VS 2012/15/17 Build servers (running Cruise Control, but talking about switching to Jenkins)

John E. Peterson

ASW Quality Program Manager
john.p...@nikon.com
Tel: +1 (810) 220-4360
Fax: +1 (810) 220-4300

Nikon Metrology, Inc.
631 Bear Run Lane
Lewis Center, OH  43035
USA
www.nikonmetrology.com

Simon Richter

Apr 18, 2018, 2:59:20 AM4/18/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 16.04.2018 12:03, LnT wrote:

> Actually we will be providing Windows VMs. Not Linux.
> Hence looking for a piece of advice.  - *Desktop OS or ServerOS ?*

Desktop forces a reboot to install updates, which is not coordinated
with running services. Jenkins really doesn't handle shutdowns well if
you didn't make sure beforehand that no builds are running. Expect
spurious build failures, builds missing from the list and incomplete
artifact archives.

Server allows you to run updates manually, but someone needs to do that
and synchronize it with Jenkins, which is administration effort for
either you or your customers. This should be scriptable most likely, so
not all hope is lost.

If you really want to provide a turnkey solution, I hate to say it, but
Docker is the best idea, because it allows you to prepare an updated
base system image or Jenkins installation without affecting the running
instances, then you schedule a shutdown inside Jenkins and restart with
minimal downtime.

I'm not sure how far along Docker on Windows is these days though. MS
sells it as a solution so it's probably not all bad, but I know no one
actually using it.

Simon