Blue Ocean Status Update

Jeremy Hartley

Nov 27, 2019, 11:52:08 AM11/27/19
to Jenkins Users
There has been some confusion for a while about the status of Blue Ocean. As the product manager for Jenkins at CloudBees I would like to provide an update on CloudBees point of view with regards to the status of Blue Ocean.

CloudBees Point of View

Jenkins is not going anywhere and it needs a modern, up-to-date, UX for the next ten years of the projects’ life. CloudBees is investing in transformatively improving the Jenkins UI/UX. We have started a project to revamp the Jenkins User Experience and launched a new User Experience Special Interest Group (SIG) to involve the open source community in this process.

CloudBees does not believe that Blue Ocean is the most appropriate vehicle with which to make these changes. As such, we will focus on alternative approaches and we will not be working on any major new functionality within Blue Ocean.

As we implement improvements to the Jenkins UI and UX, the Blue Ocean pipeline experience will remain relevant to users for quite some time. The work on the new UX will be prioritised and due to the relative modernity of the Blue Ocean pipeline UX, it is not a candidate to be replaced early on in the process. During this time we will selectively address significant security issues and functional defects.

As a part of the Jenkins OSS project, we encourage community contributions that resolve functional issues and add small enhancements to Blue Ocean. We intend to merge worthy community PRs and release these at a regular cadence.

Any questions are of course welcome

Thanks

Jeremy Hartley

Peter

Nov 27, 2019, 9:54:44 PM11/27/19
to Jenkins Users
Followed the blue ocean attempt for some time, but missing support for subversion makes it impossible to integrate in our environment (until we'll switch to git). Cool stuff, anyways.

Jeremy Hartley

Nov 28, 2019, 2:21:34 AM11/28/19
to Jenkins Users
Thank you Peter for your feedback. I don't expect subversion support to be added to Blue Ocean, but once you switch to Git it will hopefully be a useful addition to you

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 18, 2021, 4:43:46 AM10/18/21
to Jenkins Users
Hi all,

To whomever sees this thread, please see Bringing Blue Ocean into the future of Jenkins by Tim Jacomb. Taking the state of BlueOcean that has not changed much over the past two years, I suggest making the Pipeline Graph View Plugin an official path for Jenkins.

Under that, I mean:
  • Add "Pipeline Graph View Plugin" to the Jenkins Roadmap, in the preview or released status
  • Add "Pipeline Graph View Plugin" to the list of the recommended Jenkins plugins in the plugin installation manager
  • Remove Blue Ocean from the list of recommended plugins in Jenkins
  • TBD: Announce the future plan to double down on consolidating Blue Ocean features in Jenkins and then deprecating Blue Ocean
  • TBD: Create tasks for replacing Jenkins newcomer user documentation that related on Blue Ocean
Note that there are still gaps in Jenkins features, e.g. Visual Declarative Pipeline Editor is available only in Blue Ocean. Probably it is too early to announce deprecation of Blue Ocean, but we need to make a decision at some point.

Opinions?

Best regards,
Oleg

Daniel Beck

Oct 18, 2021, 4:58:22 AM10/18/21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 10:43 AM Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
  • Remove Blue Ocean from the list of recommended plugins in Jenkins

It never was in the setup wizard, just on jenkins.io docs and such.

Ullrich Hafner

Oct 18, 2021, 5:23:32 PM10/18/21
to Jenkins Users
Am 18.10.2021 um 10:43 schrieb Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com>:

Hi all,

To whomever sees this thread, please see Bringing Blue Ocean into the future of Jenkins by Tim Jacomb. Taking the state of BlueOcean that has not changed much over the past two years, I suggest making the Pipeline Graph View Plugin an official path for Jenkins.

Under that, I mean:
  • Add "Pipeline Graph View Plugin" to the Jenkins Roadmap, in the preview or released status
  • Add "Pipeline Graph View Plugin" to the list of the recommended Jenkins plugins in the plugin installation manager
+1

  • Remove Blue Ocean from the list of recommended plugins in Jenkins
  • TBD: Announce the future plan to double down on consolidating Blue Ocean features in Jenkins and then deprecating Blue Ocean
Since we have nobody working on UI improvements anymore it does not make sense for me to announce a future plan. We already have a plan on our web page (which is as obsolete as the Blue Ocean plan). In my opinion Jenkins UI Development is at a dead end in the moment (Except Cliffs’ and Tims' tremendous work in getting the pipeline view ported back to classic Jenkins UI).

  • TBD: Create tasks for replacing Jenkins newcomer user documentation that related on Blue Ocean
Note that there are still gaps in Jenkins features, e.g. Visual Declarative Pipeline Editor is available only in Blue Ocean. Probably it is too early to announce deprecation of Blue Ocean, but we need to make a decision at some point.

Hmm, for me Blue Ocean is deprecated since 2 years. I wonder why we still use it as the default view in ci.jenkins.io even though we know that it is dead since two years now.

Opinions?

Best regards,
Oleg

On Thursday, November 28, 2019 at 3:54:44 AM UTC+1, Peter wrote:
Followed the blue ocean attempt for some time, but missing support for subversion makes it impossible to integrate in our environment (until we'll switch to git). Cool stuff, anyways.

Jeremy Hartley

Oct 21, 2021, 5:13:08 AM10/21/21
to Jenkins Users
Though, I no longer product manage Jenkins, having left CloudBees, I also agree with Oleg's recommendations.