Multiple reference repository locations

Steven Foster

Apr 6, 2018, 11:45:12 AM4/6/18
to Jenkins Users
I'm encountering problems with the PR Merge Jenkinsfile checkout since my build is actually 12 builds in parallel so the pressure is enormous especially when multiple prs are building at once. I would like to use the reference repository feature on the master to relieve this somewhat, but I have also want to use it on the agents for the actual builds. The master runs Linux and the agents run Windows. Is there a way to provide 2 different reference repo locations, or support this in some other way since the paths will be different?

Also as an aside, what happens if a build is fetching from a reference repo while the reference repo itself is fetching updates?

Mark Waite

Apr 7, 2018, 10:38:47 AM4/7/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 9:45 AM Steven Foster <steven...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm encountering problems with the PR Merge Jenkinsfile checkout since my build is actually 12 builds in parallel so the pressure is enormous especially when multiple prs are building at once. I would like to use the reference repository feature on the master to relieve this somewhat, but I have also want to use it on the agents for the actual builds. The master runs Linux and the agents run Windows. Is there a way to provide 2 different reference repo locations, or support this in some other way since the paths will be different?

Anna Tikhonova has submitted a git plugin pull request that allows the value of the reference repository to be controlled by an agent specific environment variable.  The administrator can then define an environment variable for each agent which is the path to the parent directory of the reference repositories and then use that environment variable in the job definition.

You could download the pull request build, test drive it in your environment, then report your results in the pull request.  That will help the Jenkins project and may solve your problem as well.

Also as an aside, what happens if a build is fetching from a reference repo while the reference repo itself is fetching updates?

Command line git has locking mechanisms that update the object store before updating the index.  It should handle that case.

Mark Waite