LDAP fails with no details in the logs

Daniel Watrous

Apr 14, 2017, 11:34:11 AM4/14/17
to Jenkins Users
Hi,

I'm trying to use LDAP authentication, but I can't get it to work and I don't see anything in the logs to help. Here's the only thing I get from a failed login.

Apr 14, 2017 3:29:19 PM jenkins.security.SecurityListener fireFailedToLogIn
FINE: failed to log in: my....@company.com

I can't even get to the point where I can debug the LDAP settings because it just fails like this every time.

Is there some way I can get more details about what's happening and why this is failing?

Stephen Connolly

Apr 14, 2017, 11:40:33 AM4/14/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Try building my PR against the ldap plugin that adds a validate button and using that. See if the validate button helps diagnose and fix the issue!

Sent from my phone

Daniel Watrous

Apr 14, 2017, 11:52:50 AM4/14/17
to Jenkins Users
I'm not sure how to do that. I assume you mean a pull request, but I think this might be beyond me at this point.

Stephen Connolly

Apr 14, 2017, 3:05:14 PM4/14/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Oh well, it will be Wednesday before I am back at computer... maybe some kind soul will help you out

Mark Waite

Apr 14, 2017, 7:21:58 PM4/14/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I cloned the master branch of the ldap-plugin, then pulled PR18 into it and built it.

If it helps you, the code can be downloaded from https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9GyYWyfT1N5c1pabnBkbnVyRjA

Thanks,
Mark Waite

Daniel Watrous

Apr 17, 2017, 1:21:57 PM4/17/17
to Jenkins Users
Thank you for this. I downloaded and installed this plugin, but I'm still unable to make progress on my problem.

There is now a "Test LDAP settings" button. When I click this it produces a popover window that says "undefined" with an X to close the popover.

I tried logging in and see the same two lines in the logs.

Stephen Connolly

Apr 17, 2017, 5:52:40 PM4/17/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
What browser?

If it's not working on your browser I'll need to know.

Works on Chrome for me

Stephen Connolly

Apr 19, 2017, 8:13:30 AM4/19/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I was able to reproduce the "undefined" modal dialog issue and I believe I have fixed it. Please try this -SNAPSHOT build:

which was built from https://github.com/jenkinsci/ldap-plugin/pull/18/commits/a258feee8ef904ac557b9c29ef1bd4e71e27d713 and has my claimed fix for the dialog issue you encountered

Let me know how you get on.

-Stephen

Daniel Watrous

Apr 19, 2017, 12:07:56 PM4/19/17
to Jenkins Users
I noticed that I only got undefined if I wasn't showing the advanced options. The updated plugin shows the dialog even when the advanced options aren't visible. Thanks.

This did give me some additional detail to work with the AD team and see if I can get LDAP auth working. It seems I need a different management DN.