Using LTS with Docker and install compatible plugins

Robert Kleinschmager

Jun 8, 2017, 12:18:36 PM6/8/17
to Jenkins Users
Hi,

when using the official docker image for Jenkins LTS (2.46.3) and also using the build in mechanism, to install plugins (and it's dependencies) via install-plugins.sh
then some of these plugins won't run with LTS, as they require a newer version of jenkins.

f.e.

Pipeline: Job v2.12 - requires jenkins v2.60

Is it possible to install not the latest version of a plugin, but instead the latest-compatible version?

cheers
Robert

Sven Hüßner

May 2, 2019, 3:23:32 PM5/2/19
to Jenkins Users
I realize this is will be a necro, but for the future me coming here again:

You can specify the specific version of the plugin you want to install in a plugins.txt file like so:
pam-auth:1.1
matrix-project:1.4.1
script-security:1.13

Then copy the file to your container during build time and use it as input for install-plugins.sh like so:

COPY plugins.txt /usr/share/jenkins/plugins.txt
RUN /usr/local/bin/install-plugins.sh < /usr/share/jenkins/plugins.txt

But you will have to resolve yourself which version of which plugin is compatible to the version of Jenkins you install. That's still a tedious hassle.

Cheers