Logging github api requests - github rate limit being reached, 20% being used on static items

Greg Smith

Oct 12, 2016, 11:38:51 AM10/12/16
to Jenkins Users

Hi,

We keep running into our github rate limit with Jenkins' mutlibranch plugin.

I ended up contacting github directly, and they said 20% of all of our requests were actually going to resources that were basically static.

From github support, our usage over the last week:

Top 10 specific resources:

/       97,571  10.37%
/user   96,932  10.302%

Github support basically said that these are static (or almost static) -- but 20% of our rate limit was being used on these.  I do have the github's plugin cache setup and configured for 100mb, but it looks like its not even being used.

I would like to figure out why these resources are being used -- but I'm not sure where or how to turn on github api logging, so that I can figure out what is going on.

Does anyone know how best to log / get info on what the github plugin is using -- like when its going to the cache vs when its going to github?

Thanks,
Greg