Jenkins and HA

Walter Heestermans

Dec 5, 2017, 2:30:06 AM12/5/17
to Jenkins Users
Hi,

How can setup HA with Jenkins OpenSource? I have now one master running and two agents, can I just add a second master and put an LB in front of it. The Jenkins home of my current master is on shared file system.

Regards
walter

nicolas de loof

Dec 5, 2017, 4:13:27 AM12/5/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
you can't do this way, two masters sharing same JENKINS_HOME would override each other configuration on disk. Jenkins is designed as a single-instance server.

Walter Heestermans

nicolas de loof

Dec 5, 2017, 4:26:42 AM12/5/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
#disclaimer I'm working by CloudBees
CloudBees indeed has such a HA solution based on active/passive jenkins masters.

I don't know if there's another mature alternative, haven't really searched for it nor tested.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/c9b8fb81-09d6-4295-9218-2c3252fa8749%40googlegroups.com.

Walter Heestermans

nicolas de loof

Dec 5, 2017, 5:03:00 AM12/5/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
CloudBees HA is indeed based on active/passive master, there's no support for mutli-active-masters (yet, I don't know the roadmap for this)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/4a7acc8d-f2e4-4e07-b8cf-8e23502a2f89%40googlegroups.com.

Victor Martinez

Dec 5, 2017, 5:08:39 AM12/5/17
to Jenkins Users
There is a plugin which I have never used but it might be relevant for this question:

Although, it seems it's developed by OpenStack and IIRC it was acquired a couple of years ago likely that's the reason no further development since then.