Sudden increase in build times of Maven-style job

Somya

Jun 8, 2015, 9:52:32 AM6/8/15
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I have a Maven build job setup in Jenkins, with following notable configs :

·         It is a multi-module job with 75 modules

·         It is built incrementally (build only changed modules)

·         Automatic artifact archiving is disabled

·         “Resolve Dependencies during Pom parsing” and “Process Plugins during Pom parsing” are disabled.

The build time is approx 20 mins. However, from some time the build time has drastically increased to 1 hr 15 mins. The current build number is about 1450 and I am preserving only 3 old builds. My question is why there is such high increment in build times suddenly?

The things I have tried and observed so far :

·         The timestamping of build output shows that major time is being spent in "Parsing POMs" (approx 30 mins) and "Metadata collection" step (approx 20 mins).

·         A full build, instead of an incremental build, also takes about 1 hr 20 mins.

·         I cleaned up all the existing fingerprints data and tried rebuilding the project. This had no impact on the build time.

·         I also tried building the job on a dedicated slave, in case the problem was due to resource availability. This had no impact on build times.

The only thing that worked was renaming the job itself. After renaming build are completing again in approx 20 mins. But I am not sure if this is an ideal solution. Also I don't understand the reason behind this approach of renaming the job. Does anyone have an idea as to why the build times increased and how to fix this ?

I am using Jenkins v1.560 and maven project plugin v2.0. Upgrading Maven plugin or Jenkins is not an option for me now.

Thanks,

Somya

Mukarram Baig

Jun 18, 2015, 12:37:27 PM6/18/15
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I am also seeing the same behavior and renaming the build job brought the time back into a reasonable range. Is there any logging that can be turned on so that we can get some clues on the culprit?

Thanks!

Mukarram Baig

Jul 2, 2015, 1:02:34 PM7/2/15
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hello guys,

Is there any logging that will help us get to the bottom of the problem here?

Raghuram Duraisamy

Aug 20, 2015, 4:54:38 AM8/20/15
to Jenkins Users
Jenkins maintainers,

I am facing this exact issue. Would appreciate any help extended in identifying or resolving the problem :)

Thanks,
Raghuram

Jan 13, 2018, 10:52:03 AM1/13/18
to Jenkins Users
Hi  All,
Facing same issue, did any of you were able to identify root cause or any other workaround.

Also, as per analysis of our maven job logs, we could see , Step "Writing OBR metadata" under "maven-bundle-plugin:install (default-install) " per module time has been increased. Though unable to identify root cause or resolution to bring it back to normal state.

If any of you have any idea regarding this, please let me know.

Thank You.