Advice for structuring a maven pipeline with jenkins and git

Max

Dec 21, 2020, 3:29:23 AM12/21/20
to Jenkins Users
Hi, we have several maven projects which are separate but depend on each other from within in several ways. If It helps to get the general picture, the following link lists all our current maven projects with their respective internal dependencies listed in the bullet points.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ybD8QIqPtYIurWLi12v-vhCAHhVwBrTH4rfAi8FKJac/edit?usp=sharing

Our goal is to build and deploy each of these to an artifactory server after any changes are pushed to github, and then build all of the projects which depend on it. Could anyone recommend a good way to structure these maven projects in git repositories with keeping jenkins in mind? I understand this is a very unspecific question in regards to jenkins, but I've already tried several different git/jenkins methods and the parent/child build structure we tried to setup when things were changed never ended up working. Thank You.

Yannick Lacaute

Dec 21, 2020, 4:39:42 AM12/21/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Hi, the question is more : how many versions do you want to manage ?
Does it make sense for a final product to take a "common" dependency in version 1.1.2 while another final product take the same dependency in version 1.0.0 because late in dev ?
There is many way of doing, one repo for all, one repo per final product + one repo for all dep, one repo for everything. And when I say that I suppose "on repo = one independant version". But you could also have monorepo which manage different versions...

If your idea is to "update" dependencies versions automatically by Jenkins, I think is is not the job of Jenkins. You would take a look at tools like DependaBot or renovateBot instead.

IMO this is not related to Jenkins at all.

Yannick LACAUTE
Consultant indépendant
39 rue de Wattignies, 75012 Paris
Tel : 06 16 85 95 76

Max

Dec 22, 2020, 8:04:54 AM12/22/20
to Jenkins Users
Versioning wasn't really my main problem, we were really just going to usually soft depend on the latest version and resolve it in a step. Our main issue was how to build the pipeline in an efficient manner.