Solutions for publishing AMI's from Jenkins

John

Apr 17, 2018, 3:32:10 AM4/17/18
to Jenkins Users
Hello,

I'm using Jenkins to build and deploy large variety of projects.  Most are written in Python, Groovy, Java or Javascript (Node).

For a long list of irrelevant reasons, I'd like to start deploying my projects as AMI's as well as docker images.  Basically, if all goes well, we'd be able to grab an AMI, spin up an EC2 instance with it, and have a running instance of the app.

Is there a standard way to go about constructing AMI's with Jenkins?

I see that Packer seems fairly popular:  https://www.packer.io

Thanks,

-John

Dirk Heinrichs

Apr 17, 2018, 3:46:19 AM4/17/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

From: jenkins...@googlegroups.com [mailto:jenkins...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of John

> Is there a standard way to go about constructing AMI's with Jenkins?

No, don't think so.

> I see that Packer seems fairly popular:  https://www.packer.io

This is what we do here, too. It's basically a bunch of Ruby code around Packer and Puppet to prepare the build.json file as well as some Puppet manifests from predefined templates and then start a bunch of threads which run Packer, one for each AMI we create. There might also be a Jenkins Plugin for using Packer directly, just check the plugins.

The nice thing about packer is that it can produce all sorts of images, like Docker, Amazon, etc...

HTH...

                Dirk

rohit dogra

Apr 17, 2018, 4:09:35 AM4/17/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Packer is really a good open source tool to build machine images for multiple platforms. Thats one of the reason it’s being popular apart from that it’s lightweight. It uses Json as base and when it comes to building images Packer is able to use different tools to install software onto a image.
There were either no existing tools to automate  the creation of machine images or they had too high of learning curve. The result is that, prior to packer, creating machine images threatened the agility of operations teams, and therefore wasn’t used, despite the massive benefits.