Windows Docker Master

Slide

Aug 2, 2019, 8:14:39 PM8/2/19
to Jenkins User Mailing List
I have been playing with bringing some of the Linux containers that are available over to the Windows container land. My end goal is to have better support on the Jenkins infra for building Windows stuff as necessary (e.g. winsw, the Windows Installer, and plugin builds). I have played with creating a Windows Docker Master image [1], but I am not sure if this is really useful. The only use case for this that I really see is for when you only have Windows docker available running Windows containers. Is this something that people would generally be interested in, or does the Windows docker master meet all needs?

Thanks,

Alex

Slide

Aug 7, 2019, 6:18:15 PM8/7/19
to Jenkins User Mailing List
I'll take no responses as a hint that people aren't generally kean on this idea. I learned a lot in the process, so we'll chalk it up to that :-)

James Nord

Aug 27, 2019, 5:19:41 PM8/27/19
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I found the Linux ones just as easy to use on windows.  there is also LCOW if you want to mix and match but never tried this fully as I expected the ATH to barf 😀

internally I have been running Windows containers for build agents for a long while (so much easier to build than full blown images with packer!) (long running ECS tasks, soon to be replaced with kubernetes windows containers as soon as that is supported by cloud provider)