Ignore Post Build Job failure in Jenkins Pipeline

Ven H

Aug 21, 2020, 5:09:57 AM8/21/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have a JobA defined in Jenkins Pipeline. When JobA builds successfully, I trigger JobB from the Post step. But, if JobB fails in some step, it marks JobA also as Failed.

Is there a way (some setting or option) to ignore the failure in JobB so that it doesn't fail JobA (since it built successfully)?

Regards,
Venkatesh

jeremy mordkoff

Aug 21, 2020, 12:01:19 PM8/21/20
to Jenkins Users
Are you using scripted or declarative? I will assume scripted since that's all I know :)

There's a don't wait option. Or you could wrap the call in a try/catch. Or you could save currentBuild.result before calling job B and restore it after

Ven H

Aug 21, 2020, 1:05:08 PM8/21/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks a lot for your response. I am using a Declarative approach (Jenkinsfile). Could you please provide some more details on the don't wait option, if possible? JobA runs successfully and triggers JobB from Post build. But if JobB fails, it marks JobA also as failed even though JobA ran successfully. I want JobA to trigger JobB on Post success condition and then not fail JobA, if JobB fails, preferably without try/catch blocks.

Regards,
Venkatesh

jeremy mordkoff

Aug 21, 2020, 1:42:56 PM8/21/20
to Jenkins Users
I only know scripted, which has 3 options:

wait for completion and propagate errors:
build job: 'lp_systemtest3/master'

no propagate errors
build propagate: false, job: 'lp_systemtest3/master'

don't wait
build wait: false, job: 'lp_systemtest3/master'

Ven H

Aug 21, 2020, 1:55:45 PM8/21/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot once again, Jeremy. Just curious. Are there any major functional differences between Declarative and Scripted? I thought there are only minor differences. So, if something works in Scripted approach, it should work in Declarative approach as well, right?

With that said, you have provided another option "Propagate". Can I use both "wait" & "propagate"? Sorry for being naive, but I am new to Pipeline scripting.

Regards,
Venkatesh

Jeremy Mordkoff

Aug 21, 2020, 2:18:21 PM8/21/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
if you don't wait, then propagate is meaningless .. it can't be done.

I find scripted is more flexible, but any time a system gives you more rope, you have to be careful not to hang yourself.

---
Jeremy Mordkoff

Director of Engineering Services
RIFT, inc
900 Chelmsford Street,  4th floor, tower 3
Lowell, MA 01851