Jenkins slave goes offline: caused by difference ins java verssion...java minor version?

ABostonGal ABostonGal

Jan 28, 2018, 10:58:34 AM1/28/18
to Jenkins Users
Problem: Jenkins slave going offline and can't get it back online via "Launch" in Jenkins.

Is a difference in the minor version of Java enough to cause this? I read that a difference in the Java version could cause this but I don't know if a difference in the minor version counts.

Iava versions on my machines:

Java version on the “Jenkins master” (on unix virtual machine) is:  1.8.0_111

Java version on the “Jenkins slave” (on a windows 7 professional machine) is: 1.8.0.112

Mark Waite

Jan 28, 2018, 4:25:16 PM1/28/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
That difference in Java versions if not likely he cause of the agent going offline,  Need to look elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I don't have suggestions for other locations to look.

Mark Waite

Slide

Jan 28, 2018, 4:43:27 PM1/28/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Have you checked the logs on the agent machine? There should be some logs there which might give you some more information about the failure. Has anything changed on the machines recently? Firewall settings updates, OS updates, etc?

ABostonGal ABostonGal

Jan 28, 2018, 5:00:38 PM1/28/18
to Jenkins Users
Thank you - yes I'll be looking at all you suggest.

ABostonGal ABostonGal

Jan 28, 2018, 5:03:14 PM1/28/18
to Jenkins Users
Ok - I wasn't sure; I wonder why the "Launch " button in the Jenkins UI (Manage Nodes) doesn't seem to be working then...
Tough situation for me: complicated inherited environment with need to update both Jenkins and plugins. Tried it once and thought I was successful but ended up having to revert because of errors.