Plugin Installs Failing

Steve Rogers

Feb 3, 2020, 3:42:12 PM2/3/20
to Jenkins Users
Any plugin that I try to download results in the following error:

	at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:210)
	at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:141)
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:246)
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:286)
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:345)
	at sun.net.www.MeteredStream.read(MeteredStream.java:134)
	at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:133)
	at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection$HttpInputStream.read(HttpURLConnection.java:3454)
	at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection$HttpInputStream.read(HttpURLConnection.java:3447)
	at org.apache.commons.io.input.ProxyInputStream.read(ProxyInputStream.java:78)
	at hudson.model.UpdateCenter$UpdateCenterConfiguration.download(UpdateCenter.java:1245)
Caused: java.io.IOException: Failed to load http://updates.jenkins-ci.org/download/plugins/script-security/1.69/script-security.hpi to /opt/tomcat/.jenkins/plugins/script-security.jpi.tmp
	at hudson.model.UpdateCenter$UpdateCenterConfiguration.download(UpdateCenter.java:1250)
Caused: java.io.IOException: Failed to download from http://updates.jenkins-ci.org/download/plugins/script-security/1.69/script-security.hpi (redirected to: http://ftp-nyc.osuosl.org/pub/jenkins/plugins/script-security/1.69/script-security.hpi)
	at hudson.model.UpdateCenter$UpdateCenterConfiguration.download(UpdateCenter.java:1284)
	at hudson.model.UpdateCenter$DownloadJob._run(UpdateCenter.java:1832)
	at hudson.model.UpdateCenter$InstallationJob._run(UpdateCenter.java:2110)
	at hudson.model.UpdateCenter$DownloadJob.run(UpdateCenter.java:1806)
	at hudson.remoting.AtmostOneThreadExecutor$Worker.run(AtmostOneThreadExecutor.java:111)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

i am able to retrieve the resource manually via WGET.  This is a brand new install of jenkins in tomcat on CENTOS7.  Out curiosity I looked at our existing jenkins install and am getting a similar error there.  I have checked and rechecked that the Update Site URL is correct.

Thanks

Mark Waite

Feb 3, 2020, 3:50:28 PM2/3/20
to Jenkins Users
It may be worth checking the directory permissions to confirm that the Jenkins user can still write to that directory.  You may also want to check that the disc has available free space and available inodes to allow new files to be created.

Steve Rogers

Feb 3, 2020, 4:09:45 PM2/3/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Yes, plenty of space and permissions are correct.  I should have added in the original that I can install manually by downloading the plugin file directly and then uploading into jenkins.

Mark Waite

Feb 3, 2020, 4:32:03 PM2/3/20
to Jenkins Users
That's surprising.  Could you check the permissions from inside Jenkins by creating a freestyle job that runs on master and attempts to create and delete a file named /opt/tomcat/.jenkins/plugins/script-security.jpi.tmp ?

For me, the directory name '/opt/tomcat/.jenkins/' is surprising. Most Jenkins installations in servers do not use a '.jenkins' directory to store the Jenkins home directory. However, I've never hosted Jenkins under the /opt/tomcat/ directory. That may be the typical directory name for that configuration.

Steve Rogers

Feb 3, 2020, 5:05:47 PM2/3/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I'll give that a try.  I believe /opt/tomcat/.jenkins was the default.  I then just linked that to /home/jenkins.  Our old system where I am getting the same error is a windows install, so it seems more likely something in our network.

Thanks for your help.

Jan Monterrubio

Feb 3, 2020, 8:22:26 PM2/3/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Could it be an http vs https problem? We had some of those with maven before.

Steve Rogers

Feb 3, 2020, 9:36:36 PM2/3/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
That was my first guess too. I tried with both.

Markus Boos

Feb 4, 2020, 1:55:57 AM2/4/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
We had a similar error (failed to download plugins) last week (see my post in this list) and it occurred several times on our instances.

--
Markus Boos
Oberwilerstrasse 1

Mohtashim S

Feb 4, 2020, 2:02:24 AM2/4/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Looks like our not open / url blocked.

Try to access the Jenkins update plugin url or test it with the curl command and you should noticed that it is blocked. If blocked opening the firewall / proxy policy to allow the Jenkins update url may help you overcome the problem.

You may have to do this manually in offline mode

Steve Rogers

Feb 4, 2020, 9:42:59 AM2/4/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I changed the configuration to point directly to /home/jenkins (plugin installs still fail) and then added the freestyle job as you suggested which successfully created and deleted the file at the path suggested, so it appears permissions are not the problem.

Steve Rogers

Feb 7, 2020, 3:11:06 PM2/7/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
For the sake of completeness, this turned out to be blocked at our firewall based on a list of banned IP addresses.  This still seems strange as I was able to curl the update files directly from that machine without issue.  The firewall (Palo Alto) seemed to not like the redirects to mirrors and terminated the connection.  When we bypassed that rule everything worked as expected, so I just did all my updates and reactivated the rule.