SSH Credentials Plugin

the.n...@gmail.com

May 3, 2021, 10:29:21 AM5/3/21
to Jenkins Users

I just upgraded our Docker image of Jenkins to LTS (2.277.3) and am now getting a compatibility warning with the SSH Credentials Plugin. Is this plugin going away, or is LTS just behind, or something else I'm missing.

Thanks,
Randall

Mark Waite

May 3, 2021, 7:21:59 PM5/3/21
to Jenkins Users
The latest release of that plugin requires a newer version of Jenkins than 2.277.x.  https://plugins.jenkins.io/ssh-credentials/#releases reports that it requires Jenkins 2.282 or newer.

If you want to use the newest release of the SSH Credentials plugin, you could upgrade to Jenkins 2.289 and assist with the verification process for the June LTS release of 2.289.1.

the.n...@gmail.com

May 4, 2021, 11:32:56 AM5/4/21
to Jenkins Users
I'm happy to assist - what is needed? In this case, I'm using a docker container, which maxes out at 2.277.x. What's the ref for the download? I'm currently using "docker pull jenkins/jenkins:lts".

Slide

May 4, 2021, 12:44:57 PM5/4/21
to Jenkins User Mailing List
"docker pull jenkins/jenkins" would track the weekly releases instead of the LTS release line. You can see the various tags for 2.289 here: https://hub.docker.com/r/jenkins/jenkins/tags?page=1&ordering=-name&name=2.289

the.n...@gmail.com

May 4, 2021, 12:56:29 PM5/4/21
to Jenkins Users
Ok, so 2.289. What kind of verification is needed?

Mark Waite

May 4, 2021, 1:54:44 PM5/4/21
to Jenkins Users
LTS pre-release testing tries to identify problems that users will experience as they upgrade from previous LTS versions to the new LTS version.  It also tries to identify areas that need to be described in the LTS upgrade guide.

Look for issues that surprise you when interacting with Jenkins 2.289.  Discuss those issues in the chat channels.  If that discussion leads to "it is a bug", then submit an issue using the "How to report an issue" instructions.

Review the changes between Jenkins 2.277.x and Jenkins 2.289.  Identify any that you believe could be higher risk to users.  Test that they are well-behaved in Jenkins 2.289.  If they are not, report an issue.

Review changes made to Jenkins versions after 2.289 (see the weekly changelog) and consider if any of them should be flagged as a candidate to be backported to the LTS.

Thanks for your willingness to help with the LTS pre-release testing!
Mark Waite

the.n...@gmail.com

May 5, 2021, 9:44:22 AM5/5/21
to Jenkins Users
Just a heads up. The SSH Credentials plugin is still reporting an incompatibility on 2.289. The release otherwise looks good so far - although I have not tested on all agents yet. The old SSH Credential plugins continue to work. My only comment is a bit of a nit, that if you are upgrading/simplifying icons, then that should apply across the whole product. Do you want the compatibility issue reported?

the.n...@gmail.com

May 5, 2021, 9:55:08 AM5/5/21
to Jenkins Users
Better. The dependency was on the Durable Task plugin. After that upgrade, I was able to upgrade the SSH and Git plugins in 2.289. Durable Task was apparently the dependency block with LTS (2.277).

Mark Waite

May 5, 2021, 11:22:40 AM5/5/21
to Jenkins Users

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 9:44:22 a.m. UTC-4 the.n... wrote:
Just a heads up. The SSH Credentials plugin is still reporting an incompatibility on 2.289. The release otherwise looks good so far - although I have not tested on all agents yet. The old SSH Credential plugins continue to work. My only comment is a bit of a nit, that if you are upgrading/simplifying icons, then that should apply across the whole product. Do you want the compatibility issue reported?

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm not sure that I understand the compatibility issue you're describing.  Are you running SSH credentials plugin 1.18.2 on Jenkins 2.289 or an earlier version?

The icon improvements are part of the ongoing work to improve the Jenkins user interface.  The Jenkins UX SIG is where those topics are discussed most frequently.

Mark Waite

the.n...@gmail.com

May 5, 2021, 1:37:33 PM5/5/21
to Jenkins Users
The upgrade path was LTS (2.277), then the docker image was upgraded to 2.289. Plugins are not upgraded automatically, so that had to happen with the Durable Task plugin going first and separately (1.36 from 1.35, which was too old for SSH Credentials 1.18.2). Once Durable was upgraded to 1.36, I could upgrade SSH Credentials from 1.18.1 to 1.18.2.

Putting on a manager's hat: I do not think it's generally correct to change dependencies at a fix version (example: between 1.18.1 and 1.18.2). SSH really should have at least gone to 1.19, at least, to force an upgrade. I know it's arbitrary, but better form in a pedantic sense.

-Randall Becker