stderr: git: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Amol Raj Itankar

Aug 12, 2020, 11:00:58 PM8/12/20
to Jenkins Users
Hello All,

I am getting following error when trying to scan multi branch user

Currently we have Jenkins 2.45 and moving to 2.235.3 on a seperate RHEL machine
Can someone please help to sort out the issue ?
---------------

Started by user Admin [Thu Aug 13 12:30:50 AEST 2020] Starting branch indexing... > git --version # timeout=10 > git --version # timeout=10 > git --version # timeout=10 using GIT_SSH to set credentials > git ls-remote g...@pcalinvm97.corp.chedha.net:chedintegrationdelivery/integration_12c.git # timeout=10 ERROR: [Thu Aug 13 12:30:50 AEST 2020] Could not update folder level actions from source 19d6de59-5bae-471d-9399-e97d29128e72 hudson.plugins.git.GitException: Command "git ls-remote g...@pcalinvm97.corp.chedha.net:chedintegrationdelivery/integration_12c.git" returned status code 127: stdout: stderr: git: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.launchCommandIn(CliGitAPIImpl.java:2437) at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.launchCommandWithCredentials(CliGitAPIImpl.java:2051) at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.launchCommandWithCredentials(CliGitAPIImpl.java:1951) at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.launchCommandWithCredentials(CliGitAPIImpl.java:1942) at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.getRemoteReferences(CliGitAPIImpl.java:3368) at jenkins.plugins.git.AbstractGitSCMSource.retrieveActions(AbstractGitSCMSource.java:1148) at jenkins.scm.api.SCMSource.fetchActions(SCMSource.java:848) at jenkins.branch.MultiBranchProject.computeChildren(MultiBranchProject.java:598) at com.cloudbees.hudson.plugins.folder.computed.ComputedFolder.updateChildren(ComputedFolder.java:278) at com.cloudbees.hudson.plugins.folder.computed.FolderComputation.run(FolderComputation.java:165) at jenkins.branch.MultiBranchProject$BranchIndexing.run(MultiBranchProject.java:1032) at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:97) at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:428) [Thu Aug 13 12:30:50 AEST 2020] Finished branch indexing. Indexing took 46 ms FATAL: Failed to recompute children of development_pipeline hudson.plugins.git.GitException: Command "git ls-remote g...@pcalinvm97.corp.chedha.net:chedintegrationdelivery/integration_12c.git" returned status code 127: stdout: stderr: git: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.launchCommandIn(CliGitAPIImpl.java:2437) at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.launchCommandWithCredentials(CliGitAPIImpl.java:2051) at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.launchCommandWithCredentials(CliGitAPIImpl.java:1951) at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.launchCommandWithCredentials(CliGitAPIImpl.java:1942) at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.getRemoteReferences(CliGitAPIImpl.java:3368) at jenkins.plugins.git.AbstractGitSCMSource.retrieveActions(AbstractGitSCMSource.java:1148) at jenkins.scm.api.SCMSource.fetchActions(SCMSource.java:848) at jenkins.branch.MultiBranchProject.computeChildren(MultiBranchProject.java:598) at com.cloudbees.hudson.plugins.folder.computed.ComputedFolder.updateChildren(ComputedFolder.java:278) at com.cloudbees.hudson.plugins.folder.computed.FolderComputation.run(FolderComputation.java:165) at jenkins.branch.MultiBranchProject$BranchIndexing.run(MultiBranchProject.java:1032) at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:97) at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:428) Finished: FAILURE

Mark Waite

Aug 12, 2020, 11:04:59 PM8/12/20
to Jenkins Users
Usually that would hint there is something wrong with the installation of command line git on that computer or with a missing PCRE library that command line git requires.  Refer to the following stackoverflow articles for suggestions and approaches:

Amol Raj Itankar

Aug 13, 2020, 1:52:42 AM8/13/20
to Jenkins Users
It appears that git is missing and getting it installed on server.

I am in the process of setting up fresh 2.235.3 environment with gitlab plugin. I have imported all jobs from old environment and in the process of testing them.

Currently the installation is happening on RHEL 7 . The way through my testing I have discovered that Git package was missing,

1. Is there any way I can find out if there is any documentation where I know what OS libraries are needed ?

2. If I install certain plugin, dependent plungin gets installed, are these plugins self sufficient to work ?, I am trying to find our what OS libraries they are dependent on ..

Thanks