jnlp option not available in <Configure Global Security>

Chuan He

Jul 8, 2019, 12:15:44 PM7/8/19
to Jenkins Users
This is NOT "I can't find JNLP option in my agent," I am past that, in <Configure Global Security> I don't see that option either.

I am on 2.176.1

The closest thing I found is <TCP port for inbound agents> I have that on <Random>, still no jnlp option in <Configure Agent>

what else do I need to do?

C'mon, Jenkins, don't change something that works.

Mark Waite

Jul 8, 2019, 8:37:01 PM7/8/19
to Jenkins Users
I always use a fixed port rather than a random port.  You may also need to confirm that the Inbound TCP Agent Protocol/4 is enabled.

image.png

When I've done that, then my agent shows "Launch agent by connecting it to the master":

image.png

This is more a case of Jenkins correcting a poorly phrased message and people being confused because they relied on the inaccurate acronym in the poorly phrased message.  Sorry about that, but I think it was the right decision to change the description from "JNLP agent" to "Launch agent by connecting it to the master".   The Java Network Launch Protocol (JNLP) enables an application to be launched on a client desktop using resources on a remote web server.  It was a technology available in Java 8 that has been removed from Java 11.

Thanks!
Mark Waite