Any tips on how to test Jenkins/Plugin updates before commiting to them?

Jonathan Hodgson

Oct 14, 2016, 6:23:35 AM10/14/16
to Jenkins Users
Hi,

I've recently encountered issues because updates to Jenkins and/or plugins have broken things that were previously working.

When my autobuild goes live, this would be bad news indeed.

So ideally I need to test updates before making them live. Probably running a full set of builds over the weekend.

Does that mean I have to have a second installation of Jenkins and copy data over to it?

regards

Jon

Victor Martinez

Oct 14, 2016, 10:29:52 AM10/14/16
to Jenkins Users
You could bump a local instance with docker easily then you could test your changes before applying them to confirm those plugins are safe enough:

There is a plugins.txt file where you can add any specific plugin and its version and then docker run.

Cheers

Baptiste Mathus

Oct 16, 2016, 2:11:02 AM10/16/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Yes, a test instance for the upgrade is a must.

Cheers