Slave Node can't connect to Master on Ubuntu 16.10

imker25

Nov 28, 2016, 2:45:48 PM11/28/16
to Jenkins Users
Hello,

yesterday I upgraded on of my build nodes from Ubuntu 16.04 to 16.10. After the upgrade the slave was unable to connect to the jenkins master with version 2.33 running on Ubuntu 16.04.

When I try to start the nodes *.jar file on commad line I get the following output:

java -jar slave.jar -jnlpUrl http://master.node:8080/jenkins/computer/flanders/slave-agent.jnlp -secret XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
at javax.crypto.Cipher.getInstance(java.base@9-Ubuntu/Cipher.java:523)
at hudson.remoting.Launcher.parseJnlpArguments(Launcher.java:413)
at hudson.remoting.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:248)
at hudson.remoting.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:218)
Caused by: java.lang.SecurityException: Can not initialize cryptographic mechanism
at javax.crypto.JceSecurity.<clinit>(java.base@9-Ubuntu/JceSecurity.java:91)
... 4 more
at sun.nio.fs.UnixPath.normalizeAndCheck(java.base@9-Ubuntu/UnixPath.java:75)
at sun.nio.fs.UnixPath.<init>(java.base@9-Ubuntu/UnixPath.java:69)
at sun.nio.fs.UnixFileSystem.getPath(java.base@9-Ubuntu/UnixFileSystem.java:280)
at java.nio.file.Paths.get(java.base@9-Ubuntu/Paths.java:84)
at javax.crypto.JceSecurity.setupJurisdictionPolicies(java.base@9-Ubuntu/JceSecurity.java:254)
at javax.crypto.JceSecurity.access$000(java.base@9-Ubuntu/JceSecurity.java:49)
at javax.crypto.JceSecurity$1.run(java.base@9-Ubuntu/JceSecurity.java:82)
at javax.crypto.JceSecurity$1.run(java.base@9-Ubuntu/JceSecurity.java:79)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(java.base@9-Ubuntu/Native Method)
at javax.crypto.JceSecurity.<clinit>(java.base@9-Ubuntu/JceSecurity.java:78)

Maybe somebody can help to solve this?

imker25

Nov 29, 2016, 1:01:04 PM11/29/16
to Jenkins Users
Hello again,

well I found a solution for this. Root cause of the problem is, that Ubuntu 16.10 uses Java 9 by default. And Jenkins supports Java 8. So I removed Java 9 from the node and installed Java 8 again.
No I can start my node, and all works fine.

Baptiste Mathus

Nov 30, 2016, 3:21:32 AM11/30/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
WAT? Java 9 by default? Are you sure? Java 9 isn't even out yet, it's planned for at least March 2017 last time I looked. If confirmed, then it seems like a real Ubuntu bug to me.