What is a permanent agent or slave server when discussing Jenkins?

Kiran

Aug 18, 2016, 6:52:23 PM8/18/16
to Jenkins Users
In the context of Jenkins, is a slave server one that receives a build?  Or is it an auxiliary server that offloads some of the computing demand for resources of a distributed build?

With Jenkins 2.x, the term is "permanent agent."  I want to know precisely what to call a server that receives a Jenkins build/deployment.  If a file receives code or a file from Jenkins, what is the server called?  Is it a managed node?  Is there no term for it?

Eric Pyle

Aug 19, 2016, 12:38:56 PM8/19/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

A Jenkins slave (or agent in 2.x) is a service running on "an auxiliary server" as you describe it, which can be assigned jobs to execute by the Jenkins master. There is no Jenkins-specific term for a server that receives artifacts from Jenkins jobs. You would call it whatever you'd call it if Jenkins weren't involved. File server? Deployment target?

Eric

On 8/18/2016 6:52 PM, Kiran wrote:
In the context of Jenkins, is a slave server one that receives a build?  Or is it an auxiliary server that offloads some of the computing demand for resources of a distributed build?

With Jenkins 2.x, the term is "permanent agent."  I want to know precisely what to call a server that receives a Jenkins build/deployment.  If a file receives code or a file from Jenkins, what is the server called?  Is it a managed node?  Is there no term for it?

Baptiste Mathus

Aug 19, 2016, 5:29:01 PM8/19/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Fwiw, slave in Jenkins 1.x and "permanent agent" in Jenkins 2.x is indeed the same thing.
This vocabulary change is the result of https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-27268 to remove the term 'slave' from Jenkins.

As for your question, I guess there's no general answer. IMO you have to go back to asking you what a /server/ does. Serve something?

As for the "slave *server*" term you're using, well I'd be curious if you found that in some docs, since the "server" suffix would seem quite wrong in general IMO.

My 2 cents

Le 19 août 2016 12:52 AM, "Kiran" <catrina...@gmail.com> a écrit :
In the context of Jenkins, is a slave server one that receives a build?  Or is it an auxiliary server that offloads some of the computing demand for resources of a distributed build?

With Jenkins 2.x, the term is "permanent agent."  I want to know precisely what to call a server that receives a Jenkins build/deployment.  If a file receives code or a file from Jenkins, what is the server called?  Is it a managed node?  Is there no term for it?

Kiran

Aug 20, 2016, 4:46:38 PM8/20/16
to Jenkins Users
When an organization adopts Jenkins, I think there is a need for a term that receives an artifact from Jenkins.  Given that it is open source, how does one create a new word?  Should I try to ask Kohsuke Kawaguchi to create a term?  When other people talk about Jenkins with non-technical (or semi-technical) managers, are they finding a lack of a word for this server difficult?

Baptiste Mathus

Aug 22, 2016, 7:30:50 PM8/22/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Well, I guess not. You're probably the first one to ask about this.
The question you're asking seems to me to be quite too generic to have a dedicated term.

As for defining term in general in OSS and in this project, "asking" Kohsuke is not how it works. Or I mean, you can do it here in public (not in private) but Kohsuke, though deeply respected here, cannot define a term all alone. You could try to gather some people to defend your point, but given your lack of previous answers, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you ;).

Cheers

-- Baptiste

Stephen Connolly

Aug 24, 2016, 4:11:51 AM8/24/16

On Friday 19 August 2016, Baptiste Mathus <m...@batmat.net> wrote:

Hi,

Fwiw, slave in Jenkins 1.x and "permanent agent" in Jenkins 2.x is indeed the same thing.

Nit:

Agent and slave are the same thing. The "permanent" bit was added to indicate that this is an agent that will stick around as distinct from an agent provisioned by a cloud that will be removed when the cloud seems it idle (ie the cloud ones are "temporary")
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/CANWgJS5sAk3edQ3JL5OGH8LY9WLaQ%3D-41ExxZ%2BL4h7PbZ0cPWQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Sent from my phone

Daniel Beck

Aug 24, 2016, 5:44:19 AM8/24/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

> On 24.08.2016, at 10:11, Stephen Connolly <stephen.al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The "permanent" bit was added to indicate that this is an agent that will stick around

Even more nit: 'permanent' replaced 'dumb'.

Kiran

Aug 27, 2016, 2:10:25 PM8/27/16
to Jenkins Users
The CM tools have terms for servers that receive changes.  I don't see why a CI tool would not have one.  Apparently the Jenkins community is mature and has gotten this far with no term.  To me, a term would really make things easier.

Baptiste Mathus

Aug 30, 2016, 4:54:42 PM8/30/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Again, you're welcome to try and push forward that initiative if you think it's important.