Pipeline jobs always require master

Artur Szostak

Jun 29, 2018, 10:37:01 AM6/29/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I am using the Job Restrictions plugin to enforce that no jobs run on the Jenkins master except administrative jobs. While trying to then setup a number of pipeline jobs, it appears that no matter how I encode the pipeline DSL, it will always require the master build node to start executing. Is this really the case that pipeline jobs must have access at least to the executer queue on master?

Kind regards.

Artur

Baptiste Mathus

Jul 3, 2018, 8:24:23 AM7/3/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Definitely nope. You can set executors to 0 on master (as it should) and your pipelines will still run.

Cheers

Artur Szostak

Jul 4, 2018, 2:18:55 PM7/4/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
And yet, using the Job Restrictions plugin clearly shows that some kind of kickstart / bootstrap (whatever you want to call it) sub task attempts to run on master and will block the whole pipeline job if a special exception is not made to the permissions for pipeline jobs.

I later found the following ticket that seems to relate to the symptoms that I experience: https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-31866

Cheers

Artur

Baptiste Mathus

Jul 10, 2018, 4:30:46 AM7/10/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Definitely looks like a bug *in the Job Restrictions plugin*. This should work in general, so you likely want to focus on fixing that plugin indeed.

Cheers

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/3694cc37234f454faa76fc2b2730a6c1%40partner.eso.org.

Cuong Tran

Jul 10, 2018, 1:31:19 PM7/10/18