SVN Plugin - case sensitivity on tags, branches and trunk

Kenneth Guardanapo

Mar 20, 2017, 10:19:36 AM3/20/17
to Jenkins Users
Our projects have been built with the folders under the project named Tags, Trunk and Branches.  When I create a parameterized project and try to build using it, it only shows those names in the dropdown.  I am unable to see anything under the folders.

If I rename them to tags, trunk and branches, the drop-down will show only the folders that have projects commited under them and the plugin works as advertised.

I do not see where there are any requirements for naming conventions to use the plugin.  SVN allows you to name them as you see fit, so the plugin should be able to work with whatever names are in the folder in any case.  Is this a matter of a minor change in the plugin code to remove this restriction?

Baptiste Mathus

Mar 28, 2017, 4:33:57 PM3/28/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I think this is a bit more than opinionated than what you say.
I agree SVN does not enforce that, and have been using SVN for years myself (well, I stopped now).
But this convention is present all over the place, like in https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/doc/user/svn-best-practices.html

So, I'm not surprised the plugin does not parse this as the same.

Now, having said that. I guess proposing a PR on the plugin to use a system prop, or even a global checkbox to allow case insensitivity could be considered. But in the end, it will also the maintainer's choice to support or not an additional complexity for a possibly pretty rare situation.

You probably want to search or file an issue describing your case first, and propose an associated pull-request to move forward.

Cheers