Fwd: Recommended Plug in for migrating jobs between 2 jenkins instances

Nicolas Grossi

Nov 8, 2018, 2:06:06 PM11/8/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi team:
              Is there any plug in that can be used to expport/import jobs form one jenkins instances to another ?

Thanks in advance!

Beushausen, Christian

Nov 9, 2018, 9:41:17 AM11/9/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nicolas,

We are sometimes using this plugin:

https://plugins.jenkins.io/job-import-plugin

Or, you could (from what I have heard):

  • Copy job folders on file system level
  • Download job config as xml via Jenkins CLI and upload it on the new instance.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen/Best regards,

Christian Beushausen
I S&T PD SW SWF
Interior Systems & Technology

Besucheradresse / Visitor address:
Continental Automotive GmbH
Philipsstrasse 1, 35576 Wetzlar, Germany

Rechnungsadresse / Invoice address:
Continental Automotive GmbH
Philipsstrasse 1, 35576 Wetzlar, Germany

Phone: +49 6441 370-9031
Mobile: +49 151 746 602 27
Fax: +49 6441 37013-9031
E-Mail: Christian....@continental-corporation.com

<$$014!>

http://www.continental-corporation.com

Continental Automotive GmbH, Vahrenwalder Str. 9, D-30165 Hannover
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Helmut Matschi
Geschaeftsfuehrer/Managing Director: Georg Sistermanns, Harald Stuhlmann
Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Hannover
Registergericht/Registered Court: Amtsgericht Hannover, HRB 59424
USt.-ID-Nr./VAT-ID-No. DE814950663

Proprietary and confidential. Distribution only by express authority of Continental AG or its subsidiaries.

Nicolas Grossi

Nov 9, 2018, 10:07:19 AM11/9/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Christian:
                 I'm trying the importer.... One instance is cloudbees and i cannot access the file system :( so
  • Copy job folders on file system level is not an option i guess
The actual scenario is the following:

# instance 1 (cloudbeees) with around 35 jobs
# instance 2 (ubuntu on AWS) with around 35 additional jobs

# Final instance 3 on prem (internal instance) with the total job number (I1 + I2)

Any additional advice will be appreciated
Cheers
Nico

Robert Longson

Nov 9, 2018, 10:27:10 AM11/9/18
to Jenkins Users
If you use the jobdsl plugin you can define your jobs in groovy script and store that script in a source control repository. Then to run the jobs somewhere else it's just a matter of installing the jobdsl plugin there and pointing it to the same repository.

Arnaud Héritier

Nov 9, 2018, 10:29:13 AM11/9/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi

<cloudbees support hat on>
We created a job to get a copy of your data from DEV@cloud before its shutdown.

The importer should work otherwise.
Emilio could perhaps have some feedback ?

-----
Arnaud Héritier
Mail/GTalk: aheritier AT gmail DOT com
Twitter/Skype : aheritier

RAJENDRA PRASAD

Nov 9, 2018, 10:32:45 AM11/9/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Instead of plugin I suggest to use butler script to import and export Jenkins jobs from one machine to another machine.

Refer this link:

Note: you need to enable remoting on Jenkins settings at admin level for this

Thanks
Rajendra