How to identify the compatibility plugins?

YanJun Shi

Dec 3, 2019, 2:00:10 AM12/3/19
to Jenkins Users
Hi, everybody

      When I use Jenkins, I find that the effect of selecting 'all' and 'compatibility' in 'plugins manager' is the same, I want to know how to distinguish between compatible plugins.

Björn Pedersen

Dec 3, 2019, 2:05:18 AM12/3/19
to Jenkins Users
Hi,

Am Dienstag, 3. Dezember 2019 08:00:10 UTC+1 schrieb YanJun Shi:
Hi, everybody

      When I use Jenkins, I find that the effect of selecting 'all' and 'compatibility' in 'plugins manager' is the same, I want to know how to distinguish between compatible plugins. HI

In most cases this expected. Only for very ancient, unmaintained plugins  or if using a rather old jenkins you may find a incompatibility.
Case 1: plugin depends on an now removed other plugin
Case 2: the plugin requires a newer jenkins core than you are using

So if you keep everythign up-to-date, almost any current plugin should be compatible.

Björn

YanJun Shi

Dec 3, 2019, 6:16:10 AM12/3/19
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
But I see the function name is ` checkPluginsWithoutWarnings  ` for compatible.

Shi Yanjun(yJunS)

Björn Pedersen

Dec 4, 2019, 3:01:44 AM12/4/19
to Jenkins Users

return isCompatibleWithInstalledVersion() && !isForNewerHudson() && !isForNewerJava() &&
isNeededDependenciesCompatibleWithInstalledVersion(cache) &&
!isNeededDependenciesForNewerJenkins(cache) && !isNeededDependenciesForNewerJava();

is the main code used.

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 3:05 PM 'Björn Pedersen' via Jenkins Users <jenkins...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi,

Am Dienstag, 3. Dezember 2019 08:00:10 UTC+1 schrieb YanJun Shi:
Hi, everybody

      When I use Jenkins, I find that the effect of selecting 'all' and 'compatibility' in 'plugins manager' is the same, I want to know how to distinguish between compatible plugins. HI

In most cases this expected. Only for very ancient, unmaintained plugins  or if using a rather old jenkins you may find a incompatibility.
Case 1: plugin depends on an now removed other plugin
Case 2: the plugin requires a newer jenkins core than you are using

So if you keep everythign up-to-date, almost any current plugin should be compatible.

Björn

YanJun Shi

Dec 5, 2019, 4:13:41 AM12/5/19
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Björn.

I think I understand why. I've found this code before, but I'm not sure if there are any bugs, so I want to know more clearly.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/4b2ef536-5a57-464c-9024-b49000936e3e%40googlegroups.com.