Directing Jenkins (Windows) to use 64bit Java (JRE)

PersonFirst PersonLast

Oct 11, 2020, 2:30:51 PM10/11/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I would like to check if it's safe (no potential side effects) of changing executable parameter jenkins.xml config file to the path of Java on the server itself. I know that Jenkins (on Windows) comes with its own Java out of the box, and it uses 32bit Java. The reason for this change is that I would like to increase memory used by Jenkins (JVM) to 2GB (-Xmx2048m) but found that I can only go up to 1.2GB on 32bit Java (provided out of the box).

I've updated executable to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe" and performed some quick tests. I haven't seen any issues so far but wanted to confirm if this is an acceptable change and I won't see any conflicts/issues in the future.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional information.
Thank you
PF

Mark Waite

Oct 11, 2020, 2:40:23 PM10/11/20
to Jenkins Users
On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 12:30 PM PersonFirst PersonLast <persona...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,
I would like to check if it's safe (no potential side effects) of changing executable parameter jenkins.xml config file to the path of Java on the server itself. I know that Jenkins (on Windows) comes with its own Java out of the box, and it uses 32bit Java. The reason for this change is that I would like to increase memory used by Jenkins (JVM) to 2GB (-Xmx2048m) but found that I can only go up to 1.2GB on 32bit Java (provided out of the box).

A 64 bit Java runs quite well on Windows.  The Windows installer stopped bundling Java with the Windows installer upgrades in Jenkins 2.235.3.  You can read about the Jenkins 2.249.1 testing on Windows in case you want to read Windows experiences from others.

I've updated executable to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe" and performed some quick tests. I haven't seen any issues so far but wanted to confirm if this is an acceptable change and I won't see any conflicts/issues in the future.

I don't expect any issues.  I've not seen any reports that were specific to the transition from 32 bit Java to 64 bit Java.

Mark Waite

Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional information.
Thank you
PF

Slide

Oct 11, 2020, 2:48:41 PM10/11/20
to Jenkins User Mailing List
This is how I have run my Windows based Jenkins controller for some time. There are no issues with using a 64-bit JRE.

PersonFirst PersonLast

Oct 12, 2020, 10:49:04 AM10/12/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Thank you All for the confirmation and provided information!