"Team-folder" multibranch pipelines for github

David Karlsen

Aug 6, 2019, 7:10:43 AM8/6/19
to Jenkins Users
Bitbuckets offers "teamfolders" - which are multibranch pipelines around the project scope in bitbucket. One project contains several repos, each repo has branches - they have Jenkinsfile - you get jobs for several repos by doing just one manual configuration.

For github I don't see a similar approach which would be "team-level".

I can find a multibranch option, but then you need to go off and configure it by hand once per repo.
I find https://plugins.jenkins.io/github-branch-source - but this seems to be per gh organization or user ("Scans a GitHub organization (or user account) for all repositories matching some defined markers.").

I find organization too wide (as they can grow very large) - and individuals to narrow - while team-level would be perfect.

Any thoughts?

Baptiste Mathus

Aug 6, 2019, 8:03:44 AM8/6/19
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
IIUC what is team-folder inside bitbucket, then yes I believe you've got it right by matching it to organization folders.
The fact seems to me that given this is what GitHub offers, this is what the plugin could propose?

How would you propose, think this should evolve?
For instance starting with a GitHub team and find repos what that team is admin? Other?

On our organization, mixing many different teams, we've solved this by using "marker files", which we then filter the full GitHub organization with.
When such a file is found (say `.our-team`), then it is matched and imported inside a given Jenkins org folder (using ghbs plugin, yes).

Cheers

David Karlsen

Aug 6, 2019, 8:34:29 AM8/6/19
to Jenkins Users
Hi - yes, list repos via teams, or filter repos based on team-access level - but the marker-file approach should work equally well - where is this configured?

David Karlsen

Aug 6, 2019, 7:11:25 PM8/6/19
to Jenkins Users
https://github.com/jenkinsci/github-branch-source-plugin/pull/214 seems to implement exactly the feature I am looking for but needs some review-love.