Jenkinsfile Pipeline Language Complete Reference

Matt Friedman

Apr 11, 2016, 7:24:51 AM4/11/16
to Jenkins Users
Is there a canonical, complete reference for the Jenkinsfile syntax?

Is there editor help, such as in Intellij Idea?

Thanks kindly,
Matt

David Karlsen

Apr 11, 2016, 7:59:47 AM4/11/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
https://yourJenkinsHost/workflow-cps-snippetizer/dslReference contains
a reference - and there you find a link for a gdsl which can be added
to your project in IDEA [1]

[1]
http://www.tothenew.com/blog/gdsl-awesomeness-introduction-to-gdsl-in-intellij-idea/

David J. M. Karlsen - http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidkarlsen

Matt Friedman

Apr 11, 2016, 9:15:36 AM4/11/16
to Jenkins Users, da...@davidkarlsen.com
Thanks much David

I found the pages you referred to.

A sort of related question. If I use JUnitResultArchiver then I expect the junit results will be displayed in Jenkins in the usual way.

Some time ago, I tried the workflow plugin as it was then called, and I wanted to see Robot Framework results displayed, but I didn't find a way to do that at the time.

Similar question for tools like Jacoco. How do I get the nice plugin display that comes with the existing GUI plugins, but using the DSL and not the gui?

Are there ways to integrate the robot framework plugin by using the new pipeline dsl?

Thanks!
Matt

Craig Rodrigues

Apr 11, 2016, 1:23:09 PM4/11/16
to Jenkins Users
Craig

Matt Friedman

Apr 11, 2016, 1:29:39 PM4/11/16
to Jenkins Users, rod...@freebsd.org
Thanks Craig,

Actually noticed that and tried it out. But I don't see the same sort of results display that I am used to when I use for instance a maven project with junit.

Are there any plans to enhance the views that are configured after running such a tool?

And what about other tools with graphical outputs like Jacoco and Robot Framework?

If I can't get the graphical benefit from using Pipeline in Jenkins then I don't see how it is much different from ConcourseCi?

Not trying to be a jerk, but I really feel that one of the great things about Jenkins is how it gives you a lot of visible GUI evidence of how your pipeline is looking, but with Pipeline I seem to lose that.

Craig Rodrigues

Apr 11, 2016, 2:43:14 PM4/11/16
to Jenkins Users
What results display are you referring to?  I have a Pipeline job which uses JUnitArchiver and see
the test results graphs:

https://jenkins.freebsd.org/job/FreeBSD_HEAD/

--
Craig

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Matt Friedman <matt.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Craig,

Actually noticed that and tried it out. But I don't see the same sort of results display that I am used to when I use for instance a maven project with junit.

Matt Friedman

Apr 11, 2016, 2:53:23 PM4/11/16
to Jenkins Users
Ok, interesting, I didn't see that for mine. I will look at it more closely.

Craig Rodrigues

Apr 11, 2016, 4:05:09 PM4/11/16
to Matt Friedman, Jenkins Users
I am not familiar with Jacoco and Robot Framework plugins, but according to their wiki pages,
those plugins should support Pipeline.  So make sure you have the latest versions of those plugins first.

This link has an example for using Robot Framework in Pipeline:

https://github.com/jenkinsci/robot-plugin/pull/12

For Jacoco, you should be able to figure out what to use by going to the
configuration page for your Jenkins job.
Then click on:
  • Snippet Generator
  • Step: General Build Step
  • then toggle the build step until you see something for Jacoco

--
Craig

Matt Friedman

Apr 11, 2016, 6:40:11 PM4/11/16
to Jenkins Users, matt.f...@gmail.com, rod...@freebsd.org
Thanks so much for this.

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Apr 12, 2016, 7:54:11 PM4/12/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
And now it's also available here: https://jenkins.io/doc/pipeline/steps/

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Alan Franzoni

Aug 10, 2016, 5:44:35 AM8/10/16
On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 1:59 PM, David Karlsen <davidk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://yourJenkinsHost/workflow-cps-snippetizer/dslReference contains

Hello,
sorry to resume this old thread; such URL doesn't seem to work anymore
on recent jenkins installations (2.7.2 with all the updated plugins).

I've seen the public docs at jenkins.io, but is that url not available
anymore, anywhere?

Erol Suleyman

Sep 9, 2016, 10:34:35 AM9/9/16
to Jenkins Users
You can find it here

There's a link to it in the pipeline pane of your pipeline config page.