BlueOcean observations from user

Sverre Moe

Oct 23, 2017, 2:59:17 AM10/23/17
to Jenkins Users
Here follows some observations from running Jenkins in Blue Ocean:

I know BluOcean is not yet finished:
A small list. I had expected more, but perhaps it near finish.

Hope that some of my observation might lead to improvements on BlueOcean because I like it a lot. It is a huge step up in user interface design.
What I like most from BlueOcean is that I can see the build log output from each build node alone, while in classic view it was all mixed together.

1) Slow initial loading:
Clicking on a Pipeline: activities takes several seconds to finish loading.
Clicking on Branches, takes several seconds to finish loading.

2) After initial loading on Multibranch Pipeline in BlueOcean it loads faster the second time, but still a little lag.
"Show more" takes a few seconds to load.

3) Is it not possible to select view to show in BlueOcean?
We have a lot of projects, and it would be helpful to limit which views project is listed.
Some projects are also Coverity, maintenance and tools Pipelines and are not important for the main user to see.

4) Warnings in the log output.
Lots of the following WARNING
Specially when I click on Show more

Oct 18, 2017 4:20:16 PM hudson.XmlFile replaceIfNotAtTopLevel
WARNING: JENKINS-45892: reference to pipe1 #319 being saved from unexpected /var/lib/jenkins/jobs/pipe1/builds/319/workflow/6-parallel-synthetic.xml
java.lang.IllegalStateException
        at hudson.XmlFile.replaceIfNotAtTopLevel(XmlFile.java:210)
        at hudson.model.Run.writeReplace(Run.java:1929)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor173.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.SerializationMethodInvoker.callWriteReplace(SerializationMethodInvoker.java:89)
        at hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.marshal(RobustReflectionConverter.java:141)
        at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:69)
        at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:58)
        at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller$1.convertAnother(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:84)
        at hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.marshallField(RobustReflectionConverter.java:265)
        at hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter$2.writeField(RobustReflectionConverter.java:252)
        at hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter$2.visit(RobustReflectionConverter.java:224)
        at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.PureJavaReflectionProvider.visitSerializableFields(PureJavaReflectionProvider.java:138)
        at hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.doMarshal(RobustReflectionConverter.java:209)
        at hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.marshal(RobustReflectionConverter.java:150)
        at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:69)
        at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:58)
        at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller$1.convertAnother(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:84

Arnaud bourree

Oct 27, 2017, 3:40:28 AM10/27/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm agreed with Sverre, Blue Ocean is a huge step up in user interface design.
Also agreed that views are missing.

Additional wish is to view pipeline graph (of last build) on top of build list, and when a build is running, show where it is.
Many times, I wait for a job completion, and I just want to see in which stage it is, I don't need log.
In legacy view, I take a look to stage table. Without history of past build, I'd like to see running build progression on pipeline graph on build list page.

Arnaud.

Sverre Moe

Nov 7, 2017, 3:44:00 AM11/7/17
to Jenkins Users
I just updated my Jenkins because it had Blue Ocean performance improvements mentioned in the Changelog.
I cannot see these improvements. It still takes forever to load, specially Activities under each Pipeline project.

There should be possible to select a view to list projects. The projects that are listed on top are all unimportant projects none uses.
The only way to find the project I need is to search, and continuous scroll and click Show more, but I am drowned in hundreds of projects.

Also sort projects listed based on recent builds.

Cliff Meyers

Nov 8, 2017, 2:26:31 PM11/8/17
to Jenkins Users List
Hello,

Does the favorites / personalization feature help you at all, or would the list of favorite'd projects still be unmanageable for you?

-Cliff

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/09077ba8-c644-4956-bc24-ef695cec5622%40googlegroups.com.

Sverre Moe

Nov 17, 2017, 6:35:23 AM11/17/17
to Jenkins Users
Favorites helps a little, but it may be beome equally unmanageable.
Lets say I have only 4 projects that I am interested in, but those have 4 release branches, and two of my work branches. The favorite list will become unmanageable.

Sverre Moe

Feb 14, 2018, 10:06:19 AM2/14/18
to Jenkins Users
Blue Ocean is still very very slow. Are anyone else experiencing the same?
I see Blue Ocean improving with each new release, but sadly performance not so much improved.

Loading a pipeline project Activities/Branches goes extremely slow. It can take from 45 seconds to over a minute, depending on project. All I see is the top progress indicator that it is trying to load.

Subsequent request goes a lot faster, but still not instant (2-4 seconds).

As a end note: The Blue Ocean Pipeline view should be able to set which View you want displayed, and perhaps also how many projects to list before you need to click "Show more". The end user needs to get a better overview without needing to add projects to favorites.

Chicago

Feb 14, 2018, 3:10:07 PM2/14/18
to Sverre Moe, Jenkins Users
Jenkins itself is awfully slow from cold boot.
Screenshot_20180214-150924.png
signature.asc

LnT

Apr 12, 2018, 3:47:17 AM4/12/18
to Jenkins Users
Hi All -

I too find the same slow ness while opening blue ocean page for the particular page.

PFA jenkns log.

Could someone please suggest - what makes to page load FAST ?

Regards,
Lnt
BlueOcean-Slowness-JenkinsStartupLog.txt

Sverre Moe

Apr 12, 2018, 4:01:01 AM4/12/18
to Jenkins Users
I have read some other discussions that say BlueOcean v1.5 should have some performance improvements. It is still in beta stage though.

Reinhold Füreder

Apr 12, 2018, 4:08:28 AM4/12/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Perfect timing: Blue Ocean 1.5.0 is shown as available in plugin manager since a few hours or minutes…

LnT

Apr 12, 2018, 8:37:09 AM4/12/18
to Jenkins Users
I use  Blue Ocean 1.5.0. (Upgraded an hour ago)
Still the same issue.!!!

Vivek Pandey

Apr 12, 2018, 4:05:59 PM4/12/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sverre,

my comments inlined...

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 11:59 PM Sverre Moe <sverr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here follows some observations from running Jenkins in Blue Ocean:

I know BluOcean is not yet finished:
A small list. I had expected more, but perhaps it near finish.

Hope that some of my observation might lead to improvements on BlueOcean because I like it a lot. It is a huge step up in user interface design.
What I like most from BlueOcean is that I can see the build log output from each build node alone, while in classic view it was all mixed together.

1) Slow initial loading:
Clicking on a Pipeline: activities takes several seconds to finish loading.
Clicking on Branches, takes several seconds to finish loading.

2) After initial loading on Multibranch Pipeline in BlueOcean it loads faster the second time, but still a little lag.
"Show more" takes a few seconds to load.

We improved initial page loading time (Dashboard) in 1.5.0 release. It has been confirmed to be helping users. If it doesn't for you, open a JIRA issue.

For activities and branches, it will be helpful if you can provide HAR   with a JIRA ticket to see whats causing the slowness in loading. There are instances, where certain plugins might bring their object graph that might be slow to read and serve.

3) Is it not possible to select view to show in BlueOcean?
We have a lot of projects, and it would be helpful to limit which views project is listed.
Some projects are also Coverity, maintenance and tools Pipelines and are not important for the main user to see.

I guess you mean View as in classic Jenkins? We do not support that in BlueOcean.  'Search Pipeline' on dashboard in combination with favorites might help you with that.

4) Warnings in the log output.
Lots of the following WARNING
Specially when I click on Show more

Looks like you are on old BlueOcean. It was reported in https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-48322 and fix is available since 1.4.0 release.

Vivek.
--
Sent from my iPhone

Vivek Pandey

Apr 12, 2018, 4:07:28 PM4/12/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I guess we need more details to see whats causing slowness. Please open a JIRA and provide details along with HAR to help us fix it.

Vivek.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 5:37 AM LnT <tlnar...@gmail.com> wrote:
I use  Blue Ocean 1.5.0. (Upgraded an hour ago)
Still the same issue.!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Sverre Moe

Apr 13, 2018, 10:07:47 AM4/13/18
to Jenkins Users
We have upgraded to Blue Ocean v1.5.0

Sadly, loading activities and branches for a pipeline still takes a while. Aprox 35-40 seconds.
Note: This is the initial load time, subsequent visits is much faster, 1-3 seconds.

What details do you need on a JIRA issue? List of installed plugins in our Jenkins instance, Java version, configuration.
What is HAR?

What are branches sorted by? It is certainly not Branch, Completed or any of the other columns. It seems none of the visible columns are used for sort criteria. I had to click "Show more" 7 times to find the master branch (all the way down to the bottom). Perhaps list the branches set by the user as favorites.
Our developers want the master branch and our release branches (could be achived by setting a filter to sort by) to the first branches they see information about.

I was hoping we could start using Blue Ocean, but sadly the initial load is not something our developers will accept. Also they want an easy overview to see our master and release branches (without having to sett them all as favorite among 50 projects). I was thinking to create a custom view plugin to that need, but Blue Ocean does not have support for custom Pipelines view.

Vivek Pandey

Apr 13, 2018, 7:04:29 PM4/13/18
On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 7:07 AM, Sverre Moe <sverr...@gmail.com> wrote:
We have upgraded to Blue Ocean v1.5.0

​Thats good to know.

HAR https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/har_analyzer/. If you think have confidential information, please send it to me directly at vpandey at cloudbees dot com.​

What are branches sorted by? It is certainly not Branch, Completed or any of the other columns. It seems none of the visible columns are used for sort criteria.

​We show pagin​ated list of branches. Branches are sorted thru different criteria, more or less in this order:

1. Default branch (e.g. master on GitHub)
2. Favorites ordered by last run time
3. Branches ordered by  run finish time
4. Branches ordered by  run start time

I had to click "Show more" 7 times to find the master branch (all the way down to the bottom). Perhaps list the branches set by the user as favorites.
Our developers want the master branch and our release branches (could be achived by setting a filter to sort by) to the first branches they see information about.

​If you have favorited brach​ it should appear as long as it is actively built. If you identify different behavior than what is expected given the ordering code, open a JIRA.

I was hoping we could start using Blue Ocean, but sadly the initial load is not something our developers will accept. Also they want an easy overview to see our master and release branches (without having to sett them all as favorite among 50 projects). I was thinking to create a custom view plugin to that need, but Blue Ocean does not have support for custom Pipelines view.

Does Branch filter at activity screen not helpful? At present we do not have something equivalent to View, don't think this feature has been requested by users. Please open a JIRA feature request and we can prioritize accordingly.

Thanks,

Vivek.

torsdag 12. april 2018 22.07.28 UTC+2 skrev vivek følgende:
I guess we need more details to see whats causing slowness. Please open a JIRA and provide details along with HAR to help us fix it.

Vivek.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 5:37 AM LnT <tlnar...@gmail.com> wrote:
I use  Blue Ocean 1.5.0. (Upgraded an hour ago)
Still the same issue.!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Sverre Moe

Apr 14, 2018, 3:04:51 AM4/14/18
to Jenkins Users
lørdag 14. april 2018 01.04.29 UTC+2 skrev vivek følgende:

What are branches sorted by? It is certainly not Branch, Completed or any of the other columns. It seems none of the visible columns are used for sort criteria.

​We show pagin​ated list of branches. Branches are sorted thru different criteria, more or less in this order:

1. Default branch (e.g. master on GitHub)
2. Favorites ordered by last run time
3. Branches ordered by  run finish time
4. Branches ordered by  run start time

Perhaps add a custom filter/ordering to Branches. For us on Branches we want to see on top are master and our release branches, while the rest could be alphabetic and/or by favorites. Perhaps have it configurable what constitutes as default branch or branches.
Ordering by run time is pointless, as it has no value. Perhaps it has value for some, therefore a custom ordering would help all the others.

I had to click "Show more" 7 times to find the master branch (all the way down to the bottom). Perhaps list the branches set by the user as favorites.
Our developers want the master branch and our release branches (could be achived by setting a filter to sort by) to the first branches they see information about.

​If you have favorited brach​ it should appear as long as it is actively built. If you identify different behavior than what is expected given the ordering code, open a JIRA.

The master branch was all the way down to the bottom, and it is the most built branch. My favorite branches was everywhere in between.