parallel and splitTests questions

Tim

May 18, 2017, 5:53:59 PM5/18/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
all of the examples of splitTests that I have seen are always using a JUnit or some other XML representation of the tests to determine what to split on.

I have (what I thought) was a very simple use case, but I am finding it difficult to express to jenkins how to do it.

I want to run in parallel several different long running commands that have no basis in JUnit, but I want to control the amount of parallel things that are running concurrently for a single build because I only have so many resources that I can consume.

Is there any way to do this?

For example,

I have 20 parallel tests that I want to run, that call a shell script. but those tests are going to boot compute instances on an openstack cloud. my tenant only has enough quota to boot 3 instances at a time.

I want to tell jenkins "here's 20 parallel tasks I want you to run, now only run 3 at a time"

Can anyone provide a simple example of parallel and splitTests(if necessary) that accomplishes that? Or is this not possible with Jenkins?

Thanks!
-tim

James Nord

May 18, 2017, 6:35:12 PM5/18/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
See https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-44085 and the workaround in the comments.

That is if you want to limit per run of a job. If you want to limit across runs of a job or across multiple jobs then look at lockable resources plugin.