Define a class inside a groovy pipeline?

Peter Berghold

Dec 1, 2017, 1:02:57 PM12/1/17
to Jenkins Users
So I was playing around and tried something.   Here's a class I defined:

class MyClass implements Serializable {

  MyClass() {
  }

  def bark(){
     sh 'echo WOOF!'
 }
}

and so I instantiate it

def mc = new MyClass()

and I access my method

mc.bark()

and I get

hudson.remoting.ProxyException: groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: MyClass.sh() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.String) values: [echo WOOF!]

So my question is: if I want to access what I perceive as normal pipeline functions from inside a class how do I do it?  What magic foo do I have to use?

Daniel Butler

Dec 1, 2017, 1:56:05 PM12/1/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

This is my preferred as it’s nice and explicit:

class MyClass implements Serializable {

  def ctx

  MyClass(ctx) {

     this.ctx=ctx

  }

  def bark(){

     ctx.sh 'echo WOOF!'

 }

}

You’d then construct it:
def mc = new MyClass(this)

If you remove the class definition so you end up with a groovy file of methods you end up with class with the same name as the groovy file. Inside the class you can call pipeline steps and access the global variables like it’s a pipeline script. However I don’t think you can have anything other than a no-arg constructor.

Regards,

Daniel.

Peter Berghold

Dec 1, 2017, 2:07:01 PM12/1/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
going to give it a shot Daniel.  Thank!

Peter Berghold

Dec 1, 2017, 2:15:15 PM12/1/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Yep!  That's the ticket.   Thannks again Daniel!