Jenkins Distributed Builds: Project-Based Matrix Authorization Strategy

Jason LeMauk

Jul 11, 2017, 1:24:45 PM7/11/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Hello Jenkins Community!

I am currently doing some preemptive planning for setting up our Jenkins instance.

We are going to use LDAP (Jenkins LDAP plugin), as our security realm, and project-based matrix authorization strategy (Matrix Authorization Strategy plugin), as our authorization strategy.

It should also be noted that we have a distributed build system in place (1 Jenkins Master and several Jenkins Agents (virtual machine’s running on Jenkins host via VirtualBox)). The goal of the distributed build system is to separate build / project environments on a per project basis.

As far as using a project-based matrix authorization strategy, I envision the permissions working like so:

1. Global Administrators:

               - Access to everything within Jenkins (all projects / jobs, configuration settings, plugins, etc.).

               - Access to all Jenkins Agents / Build Nodes (provide with virtual machine credentials for login).

               - Can configure / modify all project’s Jenkins Agents / Slaves.

2. Project Administrators:

               - Access as an administrator to specific project’s / job’s configurations.

               - Access to team’s / project’s specific Jenkins Agents / Build Nodes (provide with virtual machine credentials for login).

               - Can configure / modify project specific Jenkins Agents / Slaves.

3. Jenkins Users

               - Low level users added by project level administrators.

               - Project level administrators have the ability to add users to their project / job and grant permissions to those users as they see fit.

               - Cannot directly configure / modify Jenkins Agents / Slaves (Jenkins Agent / Slave credentials for login are not provided to low level users).

               - Could possibly modify job configurations for their project if granted the right by a project administrator.

Is there anything I’m missing here as far as defining our authorization strategy? From everything I’ve read on the Jenkins wiki about the plugins as well as Jenkins itself, this appears to be a viable approach for giving teams as much control over their builds / projects as possible.

Thanks to anyone who has any experience setting up a Jenkins Distributed Build system using project-based authorization!

-        Jason

Artur Szostak

Jul 12, 2017, 9:52:16 AM7/12/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
If you are going to have a rather large setup running you may want to consider using the Role based authorisation strategy instead.

We have been using the project based matrix authorisation approach in our Jenkins with moderate success. But as the number of jobs, users and projects increases this option stops being scalable. i.e. trying to maintain all the jobs through the standard Jenkins GUI becomes a real pain. Your only way out becomes scripting, which itself becomes a pain. We have tried to keep administration of the Jenkins jobs manageable using a 3rd party tool: jenkins-job-builder.

I am planning on moving to the Role based strategy myself when we get around to upgrading our Jenkins instance, mainly because it gives us more fine grain control when we need it. However, I will probably still end up using jenkins-job-builder, since the Jenkins GUI is still not much use to configure jobs at scale (Jenkins pipeline jobs only solved this halfway in my opinion).

Daniel Beck

Jul 17, 2017, 1:17:51 PM7/17/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

> On 11. Jul 2017, at 19:24, Jason LeMauk <jason....@csquaredsystems.com> wrote:
>
> As far as using a project-based matrix authorization strategy, I envision the permissions working like so:
> 1. Global Administrators:
> - Access to everything within Jenkins (all projects / jobs, configuration settings, plugins, etc.).
> - Access to all Jenkins Agents / Build Nodes (provide with virtual machine credentials for login).
> - Can configure / modify all project’s Jenkins Agents / Slaves.
> 2. Project Administrators:
> - Access as an administrator to specific project’s / job’s configurations.
> - Access to team’s / project’s specific Jenkins Agents / Build Nodes (provide with virtual machine credentials for login).
> - Can configure / modify project specific Jenkins Agents / Slaves.
> 3. Jenkins Users
> - Low level users added by project level administrators.
> - Project level administrators have the ability to add users to their project / job and grant permissions to those users as they see fit.
> - Cannot directly configure / modify Jenkins Agents / Slaves (Jenkins Agent / Slave credentials for login are not provided to low level users).
> - Could possibly modify job configurations for their project if granted the right by a project administrator.

Seems reasonable; probably best to group 'projects' (jobs) into folders with permissions applying to all descendants if you have many.

I expect you'll have a reasonably good experience with this strategy assuming not too many exceptions to these broad rules.

Thiago Carvalho Davila

Jul 17, 2017, 3:04:28 PM7/17/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
That should be a very good feature. Is it planned for Blue Ocean 1.2?

Em 17/07/2017 14:17:40, Daniel Beck escreveu:
 wrote:

> As far as using a project-based matrix authorization strategy, I envision the permissions working like so:
> 1. Global Administrators:
>                - Access to everything within Jenkins (all projects / jobs, configuration settings, plugins, etc.).
>                - Access to all Jenkins Agents / Build Nodes (provide with virtual machine credentials for login).
>                - Can configure / modify all project’s Jenkins Agents / Slaves.
> 2. Project Administrators:
>                - Access as an administrator to specific project’s / job’s configurations.
>                - Access to team’s / project’s specific Jenkins Agents / Build Nodes (provide with virtual machine credentials for login).
>                - Can configure / modify project specific Jenkins Agents / Slaves.
> 3. Jenkins Users
>                - Low level users added by project level administrators.
>                - Project level administrators have the ability to add users to their project / job and grant permissions to those users as they see fit.
>                - Cannot directly configure / modify Jenkins Agents / Slaves (Jenkins Agent / Slave credentials for login are not provided to low level users).
>                - Could possibly modify job configurations for their project if granted the right by a project administrator.

Seems reasonable; probably best to group 'projects' (jobs) into folders with permissions applying to all descendants if you have many.

I expect you'll have a reasonably good experience with this strategy assuming not too many exceptions to these broad rules.

-

"Esta mensagem do SERVIÇO FEDERAL DE PROCESSAMENTO DE DADOS (SERPRO), empresa pública federal regida pelo disposto na Lei Federal nº 5.615, é enviada exclusivamente a seu destinatário e pode conter informações confidenciais, protegidas por sigilo profissional. Sua utilização desautorizada é ilegal e sujeita o infrator às penas da lei. Se você a recebeu indevidamente, queira, por gentileza, reenviá-la ao emitente, esclarecendo o equívoco."

"This message from SERVIÇO FEDERAL DE PROCESSAMENTO DE DADOS (SERPRO) -- a government company established under Brazilian law (5.615/70) -- is directed exclusively to its addressee and may contain confidential data, protected under professional secrecy rules. Its unauthorized use is illegal and may subject the transgressor to the law's penalties. If you're not the addressee, please send it back, elucidating the failure."

Daniel Beck

Jul 18, 2017, 8:15:42 AM7/18/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

> On 17. Jul 2017, at 21:04, Thiago Carvalho Davila <thiago...@serpro.gov.br> wrote:
>
> Is it planned for Blue Ocean 1.2?

Blue Ocean can show folders already, see https://ci.jenkins.io/blue/

J0991

Jul 24, 2017, 9:30:10 AM7/24/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Just as a followup, I wanted to give anybody who may stumble across this
question in the future some valuable information that helped me achieve this
setup:

My goal was to have three tiers of users, each with less permissions than
the former:
- Global Administrators:
-- Granted all global permissions within Jenkins. These users can do
anything to any project / job, as well as modify Jenkins global
configuration settings.
- Project Administrators:
-- Granted job configuration permissions within Jenkins. These users can do
anything to a specific job, including modifying configuration and .
- Project Developers
-- Not granted any configuration permissions for jobs within Jenkins. These
users are granted the read permission, as well some job configuration
permissions (build, cancel, etc.).

I ended up going with the role strategy plugin for Jenkins
<https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Role+Strategy+Plugin> . The
matrix-based security plugin for Jenkins
<https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Matrix-based+security> did not
offer sufficient enough functionality to achieve my desired result.

Good luck to anybody out there whom may also need to implement a setup
similar to what I've tried to achieve. It is possible with the Role Strategy
Plugin! Please let me know on here if there are any specific questions and
I'll do my best to follow up with any information I have discovered.