Help! I am trying to upgrade from 2.263.1 to 2.303.1

Daniel Burns

Oct 1, 2021, 1:51:26 PM10/1/21
to Jenkins Users
I put a new WAR in place and restart and normally, no issues at all.

I have RedHat 6 running on an AWS EC2.

On my first try, I thought I had upgraded, but I did not realize that the version of WAR file was the same (2.263.1) I upgraded the plugins, then realized that it had not been upgraded to 2.303.1, so then I put the new WAR file in place.  I was able to log in just fine, but one of the most important pipelines I have did not work.  I makes a call out to Gitlab and I update Gitlab at the same time.

I went backwards to snapshots I made of the two servers before I upgraded.  Validated that the pipeline works, then upgraded Gitlab fully tested and the pipeline worked.  So I narrowed the issue to Jenkins.  I tried the upgrade again, without updating the plugins first.  This time, I got an error on login page, If I clicked on Login, it gives me a prompt to put my ID and password, upon hitting enter it gives me a 403 crumb error.  We use A/D to validate credentials.

I have tried several times, even trying to go down to the LTS right after the 2.263 release same issue.  At this point I am assuming I have a plugin problem.

I tried to look at the log and even created the logging.properties file but I don't see anything glaringly obvious there either.

Can someone assist, suggest something?

Thank you
Daniel

Ivan Fernandez Calvo

Oct 3, 2021, 7:13:09 AM10/3/21
to Jenkins Users
It is not clear what it is the current issue you want to resolve, so my suggestion is to start again the first case you expose.

>On my first try, I thought I had upgraded, but I did not realize that the version of WAR file was the same (2.263.1) I upgraded the plugins, then realized that it had not been upgraded to 2.303.1, so then I put the new WAR file in place.  I was able to log in just fine, but one of the most important pipelines I have did not work.  I makes a call out to Gitlab and I update Gitlab at the same time.

Before upgrading the production environment try to upgrade the same system but in another machine:

* In a new machine
* Copy the JENKINS_HOME folder to the new server in the same place
* Remove the folder JENKINS_HOME/nodes/* (we do not want to use the production Agents)
* Start Jenkins in the new machine
* Upgrade the plugins
* Stop Jenkins
* Update the war
* Start Jenkins
* Create a new Agent that fit the requirements of your important pipeline
* Test the pipeline

At this point you'd have the same issue you face at the beginning, to try to troubleshoot it you need to check
* Check the Jenkins logs from the start to the execution of the pipeline, we are looking for exceptions
* Check the console log of the pipeline to see which error is causing the pipeline to not work
* check the logs of the Agent in case we are error there
* Check the manage Jenkins and check there is no warning or error at the top of the page

If you provide the exceptions you found we could help you to point to a specific fix.
My guess is that you have a problem with a plugin version, it could be that it conflicts with another,
or your pipeline needs a specific version of a plugin.

Daniel Burns

Oct 5, 2021, 3:09:42 PM10/5/21
to Jenkins Users
Thank you.  I wanted to at least respond.  This is in DEV so I can definitely try different things.  Using what you stated, I can mimic PROD and create a new DEV server with a fresh OS.  I assume there are no issues with using AWS Amazon Linux 2, instead of RHEL Linux?

Thank you.

Iván Fernández Calvo

Oct 5, 2021, 5:23:53 PM10/5/21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I do not think so the issue seems related to the upgrade not the OS.

El 5 oct 2021, a las 21:09, Daniel Burns <daniel...@vistracorp.com> escribió:

Thank you.  I wanted to at least respond.  This is in DEV so I can definitely try different things.  Using what you stated, I can mimic PROD and create a new DEV server with a fresh OS.  I assume there are no issues with using AWS Amazon Linux 2, instead of RHEL Linux?

Mark Waite

Oct 5, 2021, 5:50:21 PM10/5/21
to Jenkins Users
I use Amazon Linux 2 for agents with no issue. I've never heard of a problem that was specific to Amazon Linux 2.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/BFB1DF60-E6E4-4D74-9C5D-1BD4700F08FD%40gmail.com.

Burns, Daniel

Oct 5, 2021, 6:22:23 PM10/5/21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Great, i didn't think there should be an issue, currently we are using RHEL 6, I believe.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note10+.
Get Outlook for Android

RHE6? This is pretty old, I wonder if your Jenkins issue could be related to the let’s Encrypt Root CA X3 certificate expiration.