Email extender notification no longer resolve variables in the notification

Daniel Stubkjær

Mar 24, 2021, 11:18:49 AM3/24/21
to Jenkins Users
Hello everyone,

last week we upgrade jenkins from 2.263.4 to 2.777.1,
now we have a problem with email extender plugin(v. 2.80) that is not resolving the variabels in the email notification. instead it comes trough as below

email notification jenkins.png
besides the upgrade, nothing has been changes in the install, and the job sending the notification still works as before, only problem is the unresolved variables.

has anybody run in to a similar problem or has an idea of where to look for solution

Mark Waite

Mar 24, 2021, 12:58:10 PM3/24/21
to Jenkins Users
We've seen reports of that type of problem.  See https://issues.jenkins.io/browse/JENKINS-64659 for an example.

The solution has been to follow the instructions in the Jenkins 2.277.1 upgrade guide that advise
  • Update plugins before the Jenkins 2.277.1 upgrade
  • Upgrade to Jenkins 2.277.1
  • Update plugins after the Jenkins 2.277.1 upgrade
In this specific case, the latest version of the token-macro plugin has been the solution.

Mark Waite

Daniel Stubkjær

Mar 25, 2021, 8:55:45 AM3/25/21
to Jenkins Users
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply,
it fix the problem.

normal i would upgrade the plugins as a first thing, but this time a external it supporter  upgrade the server
and that also upgraded the jenkins instance on that machine, so it was an unintentionel upgrade. :-)

many thanks for you help

Ed Rolison

Mar 25, 2021, 8:55:53 AM3/25/21
to Jenkins Users

I've had the same problem as this, and found that updating the Token-macro plugin doesn't actually solve it. I've updated to 2.15, and am still having the same issue>

I've also tried using Jenkins 2.285 as well as 2.277.1, and neither seems to have helped.

 [id=50] SEVERE h.p.e.plugins.ContentBuilder#transformText
java.lang.IllegalStateException
at org.objectweb.asm.tree.analysis.BasicInterpreter.<init>(BasicInterpreter.java:66)
at org.parboiled.transform.RuleMethodInterpreter.<init>(RuleMethodInterpreter.java:42)
at org.parboiled.transform.InstructionGraphCreator.process(InstructionGraphCreator.java:41)
at org.parboiled.transform.ParserTransformer.runMethodTransformers(ParserTransformer.java:62)
at org.parboiled.transform.ParserTransformer.extendParserClass(ParserTransformer.java:45)
at org.parboiled.transform.ParserTransformer.transformParser(ParserTransformer.java:39)
at org.parboiled.Parboiled.createParser(Parboiled.java:54)
Caused: java.lang.RuntimeException: Error creating extended parser class: null
at org.parboiled.Parboiled.createParser(Parboiled.java:58)
at org.jenkinsci.plugins.tokenmacro.Parser.process(Parser.java:80)
at org.jenkinsci.plugins.tokenmacro.Parser.process(Parser.java:74)
at org.jenkinsci.plugins.tokenmacro.TokenMacro.expand(TokenMacro.java:199)

I'd appreciate any advice on further troubleshooting steps - is it worth erasing and re-installing the TokenMacro plugin?