how to enable useful debugging info for jenkin slave running as a service on windows...

JP

Mar 21, 2020, 3:22:35 PM3/21/20
to Jenkins Users
I have a jenkins agent / slave running as a windows service,  it is observed that once in a while after reboot of the machine, jenkin slave service don't come up. I have looked at eventlog and it says jenkin service is timing out. I want to debug why timeouts are happening.

Can someone point to me a link which will allow me to enable useful logging / debugging info so that next time I can see more info than just timeout.

Thanks
JP

Jeff Thompson

Mar 23, 2020, 11:33:43 AM3/23/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Unfortunately, it's a challenging exercise, hunting down why something like this is occurring. Typically, it has something to do with local system, network, environment, or Jenkins configuration. It may have something to do with how the agent is configured.

The best documentation on agent (Remoting) logging I can remember is at https://github.com/jenkinsci/remoting/blob/master/docs/logging.md . It can be a little hard to understand and configure but I've successfully used it before to configure logging in the detail and areas I needed.

It sounds like you will need to examine what is happening on the master and the agent during this time. Your issue sounds pretty weird. In my experience, agent-initiated connections will keep retrying, so a timeout is only a temporary delay.

Jeff Thompson

JP