500: Response header too large

alan.l...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2023, 12:53:54 PM10/19/23
to Jenkins Users
I'm trying to upgrade a Jenkins server from 2.401 to 2.414.3.  All seems OK except I notice the "logout" link throws a blank page, and a stacktrace with the following:

org.eclipse.jetty.http.BadMessageException: 500: Response header too large

I can find things about request header size, but changing that doesn't help.  Can anyone suggest a place to look for the cause of this?  What information is needed to debug it?

This is the new Jenkins 2.414.3 LTS, running on
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.19+7-post-Ubuntu-0ubuntu118.04.1, mixed mode, sharing)

Thanks in advance.
-Alan

alan.l...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2023, 1:17:45 PM10/19/23
to Jenkins Users
Meant to add the stack trace.  See attached text file.
jetty500trace.txt

alan.l...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2023, 2:38:06 PM10/20/23
to Jenkins Users
Sorry to bump, but any ideas?  I get the stacktrace hitting the logout link and a white page, but it never actually logs out.  A back button press puts me back logged into Jenkins.

Daniel Beck

Oct 23, 2023, 8:40:27 AM10/23/23
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 20, 2023 at 8:38 PM alan.l...@gmail.com <alan.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry to bump, but any ideas?  I get the stacktrace hitting the logout link and a white page, but it never actually logs out.  A back button press puts me back logged into Jenkins.

The logout attempts to clear cookies as they can accumulate after many restarts/updates, each time with a different ID. I guess it's possible that your requests (with a huge Cookie header) are fine, but the response, trying to clear them all out, is not.
Diagnose by checking what your Cookie request header is, I expect you send dozens of session cookies.
Try login/logout from a private browsing window, if that works it's an indicator your cookies are a problem.
If so, temporarily resolve this issue by clearing browsing data in your browser (and use the logout more often).

alan.l...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2023, 1:47:38 PM10/23/23
to Jenkins Users
Thanks very much for the response.  You are correct, clearing the cache solved that issue.
-Alan