How to Update Jenkins Plugins

ABostonGal ABostonGal

Jan 10, 2018, 8:12:12 AM1/10/18
to Jenkins Users
I'm new to Jenkins maintenance.

My Jenkins is installed on a unix machine.

I've figured out how to update Jenkins to 2.89 (the LTS - that's what I want) on unix (sudo command line).

But what I don't know: how to update all the interdependent plugins (there are many) that are listed by Jenkins on the plugin manager. Since I can't update Jenkins from the UI, I can't update the plugins from there either - right?

Is my only option updating each plugin from a sudo command line in unix?

Is there an expedited way that someone who is not well-versed or experienced in this environment (unix and all related) yet can do this?

THANK YOU.

ABostonGal ABostonGal

Jan 10, 2018, 8:14:03 AM1/10/18
to Jenkins Users
Adding to the first post: I see in the configuration for the plugins in Jenkins the name of the unix machine and the directory for the plugins - but that doesn't mean that if I try to update them from the plugin manager that I will be able to connect to the unix machine and update the plugins there does it?  Thanks again.

Dirk Heinrichs

Jan 10, 2018, 8:14:53 AM1/10/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Am 10.01.2018 um 14:12 schrieb ABostonGal ABostonGal:

Since I can't update Jenkins from the UI, I can't update the plugins from there either - right?

Wrong.

Bye...

    Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs
Senior Systems Engineer, Delivery Pipeline

Recommind GmbH, Von-Liebig-Straße 1, 53359 Rheinbach

Vertretungsberechtigte Geschäftsführer John Marshall Doolittle, Gordon Davies, Roger Illing, Registergericht Amtsgericht Bonn, Registernummer HRB 10646

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden

Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail sind nicht gestattet.

ABostonGal ABostonGal

Jan 10, 2018, 6:59:00 PM1/10/18
to Jenkins Users
What part is wrong? Can you elaborate on how to update the plugins then?

Thanks!

Dirk Heinrichs

Jan 11, 2018, 1:35:51 AM1/11/18
Am 11.01.2018 um 00:59 schrieb ABostonGal ABostonGal:

What part is wrong? Can you elaborate on how to update the plugins then?

Errh, really? OK, go to Manage Jenkins -> Manage Plugins (you will be right in the Update tab), select the ones you want to update, click Download now and install after restart, restart Jenkins when appropriate.

Should also be in the docs, btw.

HTH...

Victor Martinez

ABostonGal ABostonGal

Jan 12, 2018, 6:08:25 AM1/12/18
to Jenkins Users
Yes really! That's what I was asking: if I *could* update the plugins from the UI Manage Plugins page. And again, what I'm concerned about is that that they are installed on a unix machine NOT my machine.
Thanks again.

Dirk Heinrichs

Jan 12, 2018, 6:12:18 AM1/12/18
Am 12.01.2018 um 12:08 schrieb ABostonGal ABostonGal:

Yes really! That's what I was asking: if I *could* update the plugins from the UI Manage Plugins page. And again, what I'm concerned about is that that they are installed on a unix machine NOT my machine.

??? They are installed on the machine your Jenkins runs on. Where else?

Bye...

ABostonGal ABostonGal

Jan 12, 2018, 7:50:56 AM1/12/18
to Jenkins Users
Yes the plugins are on the unix machine.

I will try to do this manually  from the command line. The Manage Plugins UI does tell me what the dependencies are for each plugin so if I take note and pay attention - I will probably get something done. I just wish I had a better grasp of tools and techniques that would let me do this faster, more efficiently, etc.

Thanks again!

Victor Martinez

Jan 12, 2018, 9:22:04 AM1/12/18
to Jenkins Users
Just to clarify the Manage Plugins UI looks after those dependencies too, but to be in a safe position, it's worth to try those upgrades somewhere else beforehand, to avoid any issues, probably bumping a docker instance locally with the same jenknis version and list of plugins might help you out to test those plugins before uploading them, although it's not 100% safe but a bit less intrusive in case no similar testing jenkins instance.

Cheers

ABostonGal ABostonGal

Jan 12, 2018, 6:49:56 PM1/12/18
to Jenkins Users
Thank you! It sounds like a great idea but you lost me on "bumping a docker instance."

That's ok - I'll be adventurous and update them though the command line after I update Jenkins itself.

I don't think I can get in too much trouble...

:)

Victor Martinez

Jan 13, 2018, 3:26:40 PM1/13/18
to Jenkins Users
I meant to run a local jenkins instance 'out of the box' using docker, although it's quite specific about the docker technology, in any case, I wanted to highlight it's worth testing those upgraded plugins somewhere else.

Cheers

ABostonGal ABostonGal

Jan 14, 2018, 12:49:04 PM1/14/18
to Jenkins Users