Re: gerrit-code-review-plugin integrated with multibranch pipeline

Luca Milanesio

Aug 7, 2019, 3:49:42 AM8/7/19
to amit r, Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, 'Björn Pedersen' via Jenkins Users
Hi Amit,
this message is more for the Jenkins mailing list. However, as I am watching actively both, I'm happy to answer :-)

On 6 Aug 2019, at 06:57, amit r <amitri...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,

i'm not sure who to send this so trying here to get some answer for my use case..

i'm trying to use the plugin gerrit-code-review-plugin  in my project using multi branch pipeline.
installed all the pre plugins in order to use it  but as mentioned in the wiki page:

not clear enough how to use it from scratch.
i assumed that need the gerrit trigger section in my jenkinsFile  so did this one:
triggers {
gerrit(
serverName: 'Gerrit Server',
gerritProjects: [[
compareType : 'ANT',
pattern : 'env.GERRIT_PROJECT',
branches : [[
compareType: 'REG_EXP',
pattern : 'env.BRANCH_NAME'
]]
]],
triggerOnEvents: [
changeMerged(),
patchsetCreated()
],
skipVote: [
onSuccessful: false,
onFailed : false,
onUnstable : false,
onNotBuilt : false
]
)
}

The above example doesn't match any of the other examples mentioned in the Gerrit Code Review plugin.

See the scripted and declarative pipelines examples at:

 but now no matter what happens - i never get any event for the merged one - only for patchsetCreated

1. is there something i'm missing here?
2. does this plugin should support this cases?

Yes, it is designed for being used in a multi-branch pipeline.

3. how can i still use the branch scanning that exist in multibranch pipeline in case i also have cases that my automation push code into gerrit so will have here endless loop...

Endless loop? Can you clarify the details?

4. what about webhooks in gerrit it self? is it something different?

Webhooks can be used to trigger the branch reindexing also.
Just configure them in Gerrit to point to Jenkins's URL /gerrit-webhook

HTH

Luca.

any help with this will save my day! i'm trying to resolve these issues for long time with not much luck...

many thanks in advance!!
Amit Rintzler

amit r

Aug 7, 2019, 11:17:51 AM8/7/19
to Jenkins Users

בתאריך יום רביעי, 7 באוגוסט 2019 בשעה 10:49:42 UTC+3, מאת Luca Milanesio:
Hi Amit,
this message is more for the Jenkins mailing list. However, as I am watching actively both, I'm happy to answer :-)
thank you for this!! - pls see my answers inline
 i did try as mentioned in this link but if i'm not putting any part for the trigger section as you mentioned so the pipeline will not be trigger as it doesnt recognize any event
the only time that it does recognize its when adding the section above but only for patchsetCreated..

 but now no matter what happens - i never get any event for the merged one - only for patchsetCreated

1. is there something i'm missing here?
2. does this plugin should support this cases?

Yes, it is designed for being used in a multi-branch pipeline.

do you have example that it works with patchset-created and also with changeMerged events?
3. how can i still use the branch scanning that exist in multibranch pipeline in case i also have cases that my automation push code into gerrit so will have here endless loop...

Endless loop? Can you clarify the details?

in my code i have case that for some cases i'm pushing during my CI new changes into gerrit.
now  since i want to use the scanning period in the multibranch pipeline so it will find the new commit that did during my build and trigger new ci for it..
in order to skip these specific ones so added in my jenkinsFile condition that in case msg contains specific UC so it will be aborted - otherwise ,you will get here the endless loop since everytime will get another commit in gerrit that will trigger the next one...

4. what about webhooks in gerrit it self? is it something different?

Webhooks can be used to trigger the branch reindexing also.
Just configure them in Gerrit to point to Jenkins's URL /gerrit-webhook
 added in my project in gerrit the webhook config but doesnt look that works for all events... - do i need also the hooks or not needed?

HTH

Luca.
many thanks for your help here

any help with this will save my day! i'm trying to resolve these issues for long time with not much luck...

many thanks in advance!!
Amit Rintzler

Luca Milanesio

Aug 7, 2019, 11:53:54 AM8/7/19
to 'Björn Pedersen' via Jenkins Users, Luca Milanesio
The Gerrit Code Review plugin isn't a trigger at all, you can watch the presentation video at:

The plugin is a branch source, whilst the triggering is left to the Gerrit webhook.

the only time that it does recognize its when adding the section above but only for patchsetCreated..

I believe you are using the Gerrit Trigger plugin, and NOT the Gerrit Code Review plugin then.

 but now no matter what happens - i never get any event for the merged one - only for patchsetCreated

1. is there something i'm missing here?
2. does this plugin should support this cases?

Yes, it is designed for being used in a multi-branch pipeline.

do you have example that it works with patchset-created and also with changeMerged events?

It doesn't listen for any event, it's a branch source.

3. how can i still use the branch scanning that exist in multibranch pipeline in case i also have cases that my automation push code into gerrit so will have here endless loop...

Endless loop? Can you clarify the details?

in my code i have case that for some cases i'm pushing during my CI new changes into gerrit.
now  since i want to use the scanning period in the multibranch pipeline so it will find the new commit that did during my build and trigger new ci for it..
in order to skip these specific ones so added in my jenkinsFile condition that in case msg contains specific UC so it will be aborted - otherwise ,you will get here the endless loop since everytime will get another commit in gerrit that will trigger the next one...

You can configure what are the refs you want the multibranch pipeline to fetch and filter out the ones you don't need.

4. what about webhooks in gerrit it self? is it something different?

Webhooks can be used to trigger the branch reindexing also.
Just configure them in Gerrit to point to Jenkins's URL /gerrit-webhook
 added in my project in gerrit the webhook config but doesnt look that works for all events... - do i need also the hooks or not needed?

It triggers for *ALL* events generated by Gerrit. What are the ones you are expecting?

HTH

Luca.

HTH

Luca.
many thanks for your help here

any help with this will save my day! i'm trying to resolve these issues for long time with not much luck...

many thanks in advance!!
Amit Rintzler

Pasi

Mar 24, 2020, 4:39:31 AM3/24/20
to Jenkins Users
Hi,

I'd love to use this plugin instead of Gerrit Trigger plugin, but I don't get the branch indexing happening no matter what URL I define in Gerrit webhook (best to use <Jenkins URL>/gerrit-webhook I guess).  I wonder if I'm hitting these 2 issues and if any work is done for them:

I also wonder if having Gerrit Trigger plugin installed interferes with this plugin somehow. I don't know if some jobs in our Jenkins use Gerrit Trigger.

Cheers,
-Pasi
Hi Amit,