How to get started with Blue Ocean for Subversion user?

David Aldrich

May 11, 2017, 12:26:47 PM5/11/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I am finding it difficult to construct declarative pipelines as code, so I want to try out Blue Ocean to construct them graphically.

However, we store our project repositories in Subversion not Git.  Blue Ocean wants a Git repository or GitHub.  I can’t use the latter because our IT policy prevents us storing company data on an external server.

We could install a Git server just for Blue Ocean. I imagine that Jenkinsfiles for our projects would live in the Git server’s bare repository and would execute actions on our subversion repositories: checkout build etc.

Furthermore I guess I could copy the Jenkinsfiles to the Subversion repositories when they are tested, and then just maintain them as code.

Is this a reasonable strategy?  I’m not sure I am understanding the documentation correctly so would be grateful for some guidance.

Best regards

David

Mark Waite

May 11, 2017, 12:57:30 PM5/11/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

You can create the pipeline definition in a girhub repo with a branch per Jenkinsfile. The Jenkinsfile can reference your subversion repository. I've used that technique with scripted pipeline,  so I think it should work with declarative pipeline.

Probably best to use github rather than hosting your own git server because blue ocean declarative pipeline editing works best with github.

Mark Waite

David Aldrich

May 11, 2017, 1:03:16 PM5/11/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply.  Do you not end up putting sensitive data on GitHub such as credentials?

David

Mark Waite

May 11, 2017, 4:03:24 PM5/11/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Reply is inline

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:03 AM David Aldrich <David....@emea.nec.com> wrote:

Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply.  Do you not end up putting sensitive data on GitHub such as credentials?

 No, the identifier of the credential is placed inside the job, but the credential itself is kept safely stored in your Jenkins server.

Mark Waite

Christopher Wolske

Sep 6, 2019, 6:01:01 PM9/6/19
to Jenkins Users
Check this: https://jenkins.io/doc/book/blueocean/creating-pipelines/#local-repository

The git repo need not be on a server (nor github.com), it can be a local 'git repo'.
Simply create a directory for your Jenkinsfile, 'git init', and create/commit your Jenkinsfile.
Then point Blue Ocean to this local directory.

( I think -- note, I have not tested this. But the documentation description is pretty straight-forward.)