Available plugins are hidden

BarraS

Jun 30, 2020, 12:55:31 PM6/30/20
to Jenkins Users
I have a brand new install of Jenkins 2.235.1 on Windows 10. But I cannot see any plugins under Manage Jenkins > Manage Plugins > Available. However, when I view the source HTML of the available plugins page, there is a full table of plugins listed but is somehow hidden (I presume because each table row (tr) has class=" plugin hidden hidden-by-default." Anyone know why this is and more importantly how to get the list showing? I have tried many things including suggestions on Stackoverflow. I have attached the HTML source. If you view this by itself it shows the list of plugins (though you must scroll down quite a bit). When the page displays in Jenkins, I just see the screenshot also attached.
many thanks,
Barra
jenkins.html
available_plugins.png

Mark Waite

Jun 30, 2020, 1:03:01 PM6/30/20
to Jenkins Users
On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:55 AM BarraS <barra....@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a brand new install of Jenkins 2.235.1 on Windows 10. But I cannot see any plugins under Manage Jenkins > Manage Plugins > Available. However, when I view the source HTML of the available plugins page, there is a full table of plugins listed but is somehow hidden (I presume because each table row (tr) has class=" plugin hidden hidden-by-default." Anyone know why this is and more importantly how to get the list showing? I have tried many things including suggestions on Stackoverflow. I have attached the HTML source. If you view this by itself it shows the list of plugins (though you must scroll down quite a bit). When the page displays in Jenkins, I just see the screenshot also attached.
many thanks,

You're seeing the new plugin manager.  That is the expected behavior.  Rather than drawing 1000+ rows of data on the page and having a tiny scroll bar with lots of scrolling, the default mode is now to search for the plugin.  The search code has been improved, the sorting now defaults to sort by popularity rather than alphabetically.  You'll also find more information about the plugins in each row.

Refer to the changelog and the upgrade guide.  If you prefer a video summary of the new behavior, refer to the "Search, don't scroll" section in the Jenkins 2.235.1 features presentation from the recent Jenkins online meetup.

Mark Waite

Barra

BarraS

Jun 30, 2020, 4:33:50 PM6/30/20
to Jenkins Users
Hi Mark, that is it, thank you! I did try searching right at the beginning but for whatever reason there were no hits. I might have searched from the wrong search field. I find it somewhat unintuitive, but I guess I should have read the manual.
Many thanks for your reply.
Barra

You're seeing the new plugin manager.  That is the expected behavior.  Rather than drawing 1000+ rows of data on the page and having a tiny scroll bar with lots of scrolling, the default mode is now to search for the plugin.  The search code has been improved, the sorting now defaults to sort by popularity rather than alphabetically.  You'll also find more information about the plugins in each row.

Refer to the changelog and the upgrade guide.  If you prefer a video summary of the new behavior, refer to the "Search, don't scroll" section in the Jenkins 2.235.1 features presentation from the recent Jenkins online meetup.

Mark Waite

Barra

Ullrich Hafner

Jul 1, 2020, 3:23:38 AM7/1/20
to Jenkins Users

Am 30.06.2020 um 22:33 schrieb BarraS <barra....@gmail.com>:

I find it somewhat unintuitive, but I guess I should have read the manual.

Well, you never should be required to read a manual to understand on how to use the search field :-) I also think this is not intuitive, it also has been discussed in the PR but as far as I remember it will be addressed some time in the future when we hopefully improve the UI experience of tables in Jenkins. Maybe it would be a good thing if you bring up this topic in the UX Gitter channel: https://gitter.im/jenkinsci/ux-sig