Problem with Java 8 update 191?

James Fairweather

Oct 29, 2018, 6:28:22 PM10/29/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Today I installed the version of Java from 8 build 181 to 8 build 191 on several build slaves.  After doing that, Jenkins started allocating a 2nd workspace on the some of the build agents.  For example, instead of running here:

D:\projects\lion\main

They were running here:

D:\projects\lion\main@2

Each build agent has been allocated a single executor.  We are running Jenkins 2.138.2.  I rolled the version of Java on the non-working agents back to Update 181 and the problem went away.

Does anyone know if Java 8 Update 191 has some kind of incompatibility problem with Jenkins?

Mark Waite

Oct 30, 2018, 5:25:38 AM10/30/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Those workspace names are not an indication of an incompatibility.  If Jenkins needs to allocate a workspace and it detects that the default named workspace is already in use, it will allocate a second workspace adjacent to the first, with a digit appended to the workspace name.

Mark Waite

James Fairweather

Oct 30, 2018, 12:58:54 PM10/30/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Is there some way for me to find out *why* Jenkins thought the default named workspace was already in use?  Our scripts make assumptions about the workspace location and if Jenkins appends something ("@2") to the name of the folder it won't work.

Matthew...@diamond.ac.uk

Oct 30, 2018, 1:09:53 PM10/30/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
>> Is there some way for me to find out *why* Jenkins thought the default named workspace was already in use?  Our scripts make assumptions about the workspace location and if Jenkins appends something ("@2") to the name of the folder it won't work.

It's very strange that Jenkins thought the workspace was in use, since you only have one executor on the agent. However, leaving that aside for the moment, why not use $WORKSPACE to get the name of the folder? Hard-coding the name is an anti-pattern that will be a problem if you ever want to use concurrent builds, or (I think) matrix builds.

James Fairweather

Oct 30, 2018, 7:11:47 PM10/30/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestion of using $WORKSPACE, that's an improvement.  I still don't know why Jenkins thought the primary workspace was in use but since the problem has disappeared, I won't worry about it for now.