job migration issues

David Maul

Mar 19, 2021, 9:52:32 AM3/19/21
to Jenkins Users
I am retiring an old jenkins server (Win Server 2008 R2) in favor of a new one on Centos.  I am using the jenkins CLI (get-job from source, create-job on destination), as I have done many times before, but: build steps are being ignored in the "destination" job, despite them being clearly present in the xml file that results from get-job.

I also tried the Import-Job plugin; same result.

What could cause the "create-job" to ignore certain parts of the job?
Jenkins versions are the same at both ends, and the relevant plugins are all version-matched as well.

Thanks

David Maul

Mar 19, 2021, 1:57:35 PM3/19/21
to Jenkins Users
I have also tried directly placing the config.xml file from the source computer into the destination computer's jobs/ tree.  The build steps are still NOT showing up in the Jankins UI.      Very curious.

Čamo

Mar 19, 2021, 3:45:21 PM3/19/21
to Jenkins Users
I made a migration today but not via import plugin but via copy past jobs directory. And my problem was in the permissions. There was wrong owner in my jobs directory. I dont know if this is also the import plugin problem but may be some other file was copy pasted manually.

Dátum: piatok 19. marca 2021, čas: 18:57:35 UTC+1, odosielateľ: dma...@gmail.com

David Maul

Mar 19, 2021, 5:38:29 PM3/19/21
to Jenkins Users
thanks.   I am able to import the job (either way), but all of the build steps INSIDE the job are missing.  Makes no sense.

Čamo

Mar 19, 2021, 6:14:43 PM3/19/21
to Jenkins Users
What about paths to working directory in job settings?

Dátum: piatok 19. marca 2021, čas: 22:38:29 UTC+1, odosielateľ: dma...@gmail.com

Fritz Elfert

Mar 21, 2021, 6:31:34 AM3/21/21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Most likely, you have some plugins missing on the destination jenkins. To find out, if some build step is provided by a plugin,
on the old jenkins, open the job configuration, find the step that is missing on the destination and click on the help button
at the right side (hopefully it has one).
If that step is provided by some plugin, then below the help text there is a remark "(from xyz plugin)".
In order to get those missing steps back on the destination jenkins, you have to import your jobs AFTER installing those missing plugins.

Hope this helps
-Fritz

OpenPGP_0x6E8338980332A6B0.asc
OpenPGP_signature

David Maul

Mar 22, 2021, 8:46:26 AM3/22/21
to Jenkins Users
Thanks.  I have verified that all plugins referred to by the XML are present, and of the same version.  But I do think it is something like this, perhaps some other system-level configuration that differs.  I will keep searching. Thanks for the ideas so far.

David Maul

Mar 22, 2021, 11:43:45 AM3/22/21
to Jenkins Users
I created another VM, identical in configuration EXCEPT this time I installed jenkins directly onto the Centos 8 OSIn my first VM, it was installed as a podman container.  This is the only difference I can see.  Anyone that can explain why it would work outside a container differently than inside?  THANKS