Env Inject failure "Couldn't find the right download for WINDOWS and i386 combination"

Steve K

Dec 1, 2017, 1:20:45 PM12/1/17
to Jenkins Users
Hello,

Has anyone else been plagued with these fatal errors recently?
Environment Inject bombs at the beginning of jobs running on i386 based OS's.
In the stack dump, the message "Couldn't find the right download for WINDOWS and i386 combination" is seen.
My Windows Jenkins server is v 2.46.2.
I just upgraded to "EnvInject API Plugin" v 1.4 and "Environment Injector Plugin" v2.1.5

Thanks in advance.

Devin Nusbaum

Dec 1, 2017, 1:58:11 PM12/1/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I suspect the error is being thrown by the JDK installer tool and is unrelated to EnvInject. Do you have a full stack trace, and are you using a JDK tool in your build configured with the “Install from java.sun.com” method to install JDK 9? if so, it looks like Oracle has removed the 32-bit JDK 9 downloads, so I guess you could use JDK 8 instead.

Steve K

Dec 4, 2017, 11:53:09 AM12/4/17
to Jenkins Users
Thanks @David Nusbaum
Here's a trace from a test job that does nothing more than execute a `date /t` on the slave:
Building remotely on ROCDVMSDK2x (SLAVE FTP_CLIENT) in workspace C:\Jenkins\workspace\z_date
Installing JDK jdk-9.0.1-oth-JPR
FATAL: Unable to produce a script file
hudson.AbortException: Couldn't find the right download for WINDOWS and i386 combination
	at hudson.tools.JDKInstaller.locate(JDKInstaller.java:443)
	at hudson.tools.JDKInstaller.performInstallation(JDKInstaller.java:138)
	at hudson.tools.InstallerTranslator.getToolHome(InstallerTranslator.java:72)
	at hudson.tools.ToolLocationNodeProperty.getToolHome(ToolLocationNodeProperty.java:109)
	at hudson.tools.ToolInstallation.translateFor(ToolInstallation.java:206)
	at hudson.model.JDK.forNode(JDK.java:144)
	at hudson.model.AbstractProject.getEnvironment(AbstractProject.java:358)
	at hudson.model.Run.getEnvironment(Run.java:2264)
	at hudson.model.AbstractBuild.getEnvironment(AbstractBuild.java:921)
	at com.lookout.jenkins.EnvironmentScript.generateEnvironment(EnvironmentScript.java:147)
	at com.lookout.jenkins.EnvironmentScript.setUp(EnvironmentScript.java:119)
	at hudson.model.Build$BuildExecution.doRun(Build.java:157)
	at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.run(AbstractBuild.java:534)
	at hudson.model.Run.execute(Run.java:1728)
	at hudson.model.FreeStyleBuild.run(FreeStyleBuild.java:43)
	at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:98)
	at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:405)

We're not using a JDK tool in our builds.

This has become a huge pain.  I can see from your link that Oracle is probably to blame, but I don't see where I can change Jenkins' mind about what JDK to look for.

Thanks again.

Daniel Beck

Dec 4, 2017, 12:24:23 PM12/4/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

> On 4. Dec 2017, at 17:53, Steve K <Steve.K...@CareStream.com> wrote:
>
> We're not using a JDK tool in our builds.
>
> This has become a huge pain. I can see from your link that Oracle is probably to blame, but I don't see where I can change Jenkins' mind about what JDK to look for.
>
> Thanks again.

There's likely a single JDK configured in Manage Jenkins » Global Tool Configuration with an auto-installer that downloads from Oracle (the label might still say java.sun.com).

If so, your options are:
- Remove the tool.
- Remove the auto-installer for the JDK that downloads it from the Oracle site.
- Add a second tool version, which makes the per-job option explicit. Any jobs relying on the existing one set up automatically will fail until you explicitly configure one.
- Override the path to the JDK on the agent your builds are failing on, this should override the unavailable auto installer.

Steve K

Dec 4, 2017, 1:08:17 PM12/4/17
to Jenkins Users
Oh Yeah!

Thanks @Daniel Beck & @Devin Nusbaum (sorry for referring to you as "David" in my previous post).
For the JDK configuration, I just had to de-select  "Install Automatically".
I don't think we use the JDK anywhere, but, if someone comes screaming to me "Hey, where's my JDK", I'll deal with it at that time.
But now, I'm a happy guy.

Thanks again!