Agents not connecting after 2.60.3 Jenkins upgrade

edward.b...@sovos.com

Oct 25, 2017, 3:19:00 PM10/25/17
to Jenkins Users

Hello,

I am attempting to upgrade Jenkins on one of our sandboxes to the latest LTS version (2.73.2). The issue I have encountered is after upgrading, our build agents have all lost their connection to the master. I tried this a couple different ways to find out when the issue starts.

Attempt #1: 2.24 > 2.73.2

  1. Replace the jenkins.war with the 2.73.2 jenkins.war
  2. Edit the jenkins.xml to point to JRE 1.8
  3. Start the Jenkins service
  4. Jenkins starts up fine, but our three build agents are offline.
  5. Replaced the slave.war on build agent #1.
  6. Verify in the Jenkins-slave.xml points to JRE 1.8 (It already was)
  7. Started the agent service. Still does not go online.
  8. Try to connect via jnlp, but the connection times out.
  9. Updated all plugins
  10. Stop/Start the Jenkins service.
  11. Stop/Start the Jenkins agent service. Agent still offline.
  12. Start via jnlp. Connection times out.

Attempt #2: 2.24 > 2.32.3 > 2.46.3 > 2.60.3

  1. Revert to the original snapshot
  2. Upgrade to 2.32.3, then to 2.46.3 (Found no issues)
  3. Replace the jenkins.war with the 2.60.3 jenkins.war
  4. Edit the jenkins.xml to point to JRE 1.8
  5. Start the Jenkins service
  6. Jenkins starts up fine, but our three build agents are offline.
  7. Replaced the slave.war on build agent #1.
  8. Verify in the Jenkins-slave.xml points to JRE 1.8 (It already was)
  9. Started the agent service. Still does not go online.
  10. Try to connect via jnlp, but the connection times out.

Here is the connection timeout error (Same error in both attempts):

Some additional information:

Master: Windows Server 2008 R2

Agent 1: Windows Server 2008 R2

- I was thinking the random ports would be an issue, since the jnlp connects using a random port each time, but this is how our Jenkins has been configured in previous versions and currently in production.

- The issue occurs starting with the upgrade to 2.60.3. Both versions 2.32.3 and 2.46.3 work fine.

Any help would be appreciated. I can provide any additional information as needed.

Thank you,

Eddie

Mark Waite

Oct 25, 2017, 4:34:36 PM10/25/17
to Jenkins Users
Are your build agents all running JRE 8?  If not, they won't connect to Jenkins 2.60 and later.  Java 8 is required.

Mark Waite

edward.b...@sovos.com

Oct 26, 2017, 10:19:04 AM10/26/17
to Jenkins Users
Yes, the build agents are using jre1.8.0_144. Same version as the master.

Thanks,
Eddie