Conventions for names of Jenkins jobs and job stages

Martin Schmude

Jan 27, 2021, 11:53:42 AM1/27/21
to Jenkins Users
Hello all,
at the department I am working at we operate a Jenkins with ~100 pipeline jobs.
The jobs have evolved over ~4 years without any conventions about job and stage names.
Today we have a mess. Related jobs cannot easily be recognized by name. The "logic" how a job is sectioned into stages is different between all jobs.

We want to clean up and establish naming conventions. Before thinking a lot myself an issue I want to become aware of how others solved it.
Maybe there are well established naming conventions out there that we don't know, but  could adopt easily. At jenkins.io I didn't land a hit.

Any hints? Thank you.

Dirk Heinrichs

Jan 28, 2021, 2:09:13 AM1/28/21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Am Mittwoch, den 27.01.2021, 08:53 -0800 schrieb 'Martin Schmude' via Jenkins Users:

Any hints?

While I won't tell you how to name your jobs, I'd like to point you at the folders plugin, which might help to organize them better.

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs
Senior Systems Engineer, Delivery Pipeline

mj1414...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2021, 5:44:57 AM1/30/21
to Jenkins Users
Hello Martin,
it's hard to tell you, how your job names should look like. You will need to sit down (with colleagues) and think, what you need.
Here is what we do: ['...' means *our* naming convention for things]
We separate our job names in 'slots'; 'slots' are separated by '-' (because we got names from outside, which use '_' in what could be a content for a slot). We use '.' to separate items in one "slot', if we should need it.
We have the following slots: (you'll see that you need to get your own ;-)

# System component ("Jenkins" for CI-internal stuff)

# duplexMode("FDD"/"TDD")

# HW

# deployment

# branch

# specialBranch

# purpose (build/test/publish/...)

# variant

# discriminator (if we need several jobs of the same type; e.g. for different users)

a: PHY_TX-TDD-HWx-L1-FB2003--test-MIMO-dynamic
If a slot is unused, just the '-' remains, e.g.
b: PHY_TX------ciScriptsUpdate
(and this should have been named JENKINS-... - we have our slips...)

We have a "'jobNameParser' which picks apart these things, and is used so the jobs do what their name says they should do.
(For special jobs, 'b' above, we don't use that; only for more generic like 'a')

The order you choose, should e.g. give a reasonable sorting.
Now you need to find a structure fitting your needs. (*)

Have the appropriate amount of fun

Martin

(*) We had literally discussions on and off over weeks, years ago, before we settled for our current structure.