GitLab integration: web hooks for GitLab CE with Jenkins multi-branch project?

ST

Aug 26, 2016, 2:04:44 AM8/26/16
to Jenkins Users
Hi,

Is there a way to make push event trigger the build for the associated branch in a Jenkins multi-branch project, using GitLab 8.x Community Edition (CE)?

The GitLab documentation about Jenkins integration
  http://docs.gitlab.com/ee/integration/jenkins.html
mentions that the Jenkins GitLab Hook Plugin is deprecated in favor of the Jenkins GitLab Plugin. However since there is "...gitlab.com/ee/..."  in that URL it is unclear to me whether GitLab CE is supported at all, and how/where one is supposed to do the configuration?

Anyone using GitLab CE and was able to configure web hooks for multi-branch project? Or is the only solution in this case to use "SCM polling"?

Thanks!
 stefan.

Michael Lasevich

Aug 29, 2016, 11:35:56 AM8/29/16
to Jenkins Users
This is probably more of a GitLab than Jenkins discussion but I think GitLab can send WebHooks to anything, so it should be able to trigger Jenkins jobs with generic WebHook and I believe there is a way to have Jenkins accept WebHooks. That said, this only works when there is a direct  network connection between GitLab and Jenkins.  GitHub has a brilliant alternative using SQS queue for triggering jobs in Jenkins - which allows triggering of jobs without direct connection between the two (as long as both can talk to SQS). I have not found an equivalent for GitLab and fear I would either have to write a WebHook to SQS bridge (easy, but not great in terms of security/reliability) or write a native GitLab plugin (no idea what that entails) :-/

-M

Sverre Moe

Aug 30, 2016, 5:42:38 AM8/30/16
to Jenkins Users
Just have GitLab execute notifyCommit to Jenkins.